how to install TL-WN722N(RTL8188EUS) wifi driver on ubuntu 20.04?

InsidTrifl

Reaction score
Credits
I've bought a Tp-link TL-WN722N with RTL8188EUS chipset cause my laptop's internal chipset got fried. I tried installing the 3rd party drivers from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8188eus. but it shows the following error how to solve this and install the driver? Linux Kernel- 5.15.5

/home/insidtrifl/.local/share/Trash/files/rt18188eus/core/rtw_br_ext.c:25:11: fatal error: net/ip x.h: No such file or directory 25 #include <net/ipx.h> compilation terminated. make[2]: *** (scripts/Makefile.build: 277:

/home/insidtrifl/.local/share/Trash/files/rt18188eus/co re/rtw_br_ext.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [Makefile: 1874:

/home/insidtrifll.local/share/Trash/files/rt18188eus] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.5-76051505-generic make: *** [Makefile: 1911: modules] Error 2

Welcome to the forums ,
I will give a general answer , the rtl8188 works out of the box for most distributions with kernel 5.1 or higher there are some exceptions.
Kali 2021.3Failed
Kali 2021.2Works out-of-the-box
Kali 2020.4Works out-of-the-box
Ubuntu 20.04 basedWorks out-of-the-box
Debian 10.7.0 basedWorks but may need fettling
Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit)Works out-of-the-box
I have no information on arch, but as its usually a pain in the butt to set up properly anyway, I suspect it may need fettling to work

Bwiz

Now If you have inxi installed , run in a terminal inxi -N [inxispace-N] and paste the results back here

if not installed then.. sudo apt-get install inxi

Bwiz

I am away from the office for a few hours, so here is something you could try,
plug in your wi-fi dongle
open the wi-fi connection icon [on right hand side of task bar]
is it showing both the onboard and the dongle ?
if it is make sure to switch off the on board and switch on the dongle
under the connections available for the dongle , choose yours and input the password and enter
then try it.
you say the onboard was fried.. but it may still be recognised by the system and will be given priority.

I've bought a Tp-link TL-WN722N with RTL8188EUS chipset cause my laptop's internal chipset got fried. I tried installing the 3rd party drivers from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8188eus. but it shows the following error how to solve this and install the driver? Linux Kernel- 5.15.5

/home/insidtrifl/.local/share/Trash/files/rt18188eus/core/rtw_br_ext.c:25:11: fatal error: net/ip x.h: No such file or directory 25 #include <net/ipx.h> compilation terminated. make[2]: *** (scripts/Makefile.build: 277:

/home/insidtrifl/.local/share/Trash/files/rt18188eus/co re/rtw_br_ext.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [Makefile: 1874:

/home/insidtrifll.local/share/Trash/files/rt18188eus] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.5-76051505-generic make: *** [Makefile: 1911: modules] Error 2

I am away from the office for a few hours, so here is something you could try,
plug in your wi-fi dongle
open the wi-fi connection icon [on right hand side of task bar]
is it showing both the onboard and the dongle ?
if it is make sure to switch off the on board and switch on the dongle
under the connections available for the dongle , choose yours and input the password and enter
then try it.
you say the onboard was fried.. but it may still be recognised by the system and will be given priority.
thanks but the onboard doesn't even show up. I checked in the popos subreddit on Reddit and found out that there are no drivers for my specific Linux Kernel version which is 5.15.5. and someone gave me a GitHub repo that works and it works now.

You follow the instructions found here. It's for 18.04 but should work on 20.04. Good luck.

@InsidTrifl did you find a permanent solution to your original query?? I am also having the same problem.
can you help..

Members online