How to install windows based software not in software manager

Just to insert some reality here. That's not necessarily true, without a whole lot of work. As libraries are updated, things become obsolete. Trying to make the old stuff work puts you in a place called Dependency Hell.

"It worked once." isn't actually an indicator that it'll work again or continue to work. If I had the data, I'd suspect that we have far more software that no longer works than we have that actually works with modern systems.

The time you'll have spent trying to make this work may very well dwarf the time saved from typing different passwords one after the other. Yeah, not entering passwords one by one may save you 10 minutes a year, or you can just change your workflow and not invest countless hours trying to make it work.

Anyhow... Back to your regularly scheduled thread and good luck getting it to work. It may still work, I have no idea. I was just making sure you knew that it working in the past doesn't mean it'll work now or in the future.
Yeah I do get that! But as you can from above post by Kc1di he (or she) managed to get it to work so hopefully I can overcome my stupidity and also get it working. But I realise it may eventually be time to call it quits.

Ok, For Rob2021 Here is what you do to get it running.
1. install Playonlinux
Sass:
sudo apt install playonlinux
2. Once installed go to Menu> Accessories>Playonlinux (Launch program)
3. In Playon Linux go to tools> Manage wine versions. and Install version 2.9
4. When that is complete go to install and select install non listed program Follow prompts on screen
5. When asked browse to where the Extractnow was downloaded.
6 Install it. Once it's all finished you should have an Icon on the screen and the program should run.
Good Luck.
Hi kc1di
thanks for that help. I followed all those instructions and they all worked OK and placed a second icon on my desktop. But unfortunately neither icon works - they both open Extractnow but I could not open the Settings. Should I uninstall both occurrences of Extractnow and start again using your above instructions? If so, how do I uninstall safely?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-12-04 10-02-39.jpg
    Screenshot from 2021-12-04 10-02-39.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 198
Should I uninstall both occurrences of Extractnow and start again using your above instructions? If so, how do I uninstall safely?

I found problems with it too.

Simplest is if you ran Timeshift before you did all the installation voodoo, then you can restore from the snapshot you took.

Other than that, someone might let us know whether first you need to use Playonlinux to remove that Wine 2.9 or not.

I am planning to restore my Mint using my Timeshift snapshot, but that will take me to my evening signoff.

Back in about 14 hours I expect.

ExtractNow is a simple utility that allows you to extract multiple archives quickly and easily. ExtractNow is not a complete archival solution. It's main purpose is to allow the user to extract multiple archives easily.

Wizard

Yes uninstall and try again. It's a 32 bit program so make sure you install the 32 bit wine.
Hi kc1di
thanks for that help. I followed all those instructions and they all worked OK and placed a second icon on my desktop. But unfortunately neither icon works - they both open Extractnow but I could not open the Settings. Should I uninstall both occurrences of Extractnow and start again using your above instructions? If so, how do I uninstall safely?
It worked flawlessly here. Not sure what else to try. At this point. I do think there are may other native apps that would do much the same thing as your asking this to do. But of course that would require some re learning. as they would do it a bit differently.
Good Luck.

Extractnow may be old but is the only one I have found to decode multiple files with multiple (different) passwords automatically.

How do you enter the passwords? One by one or does it pull them in from a file? Is it a different password for each file? Is it simply inputting a password, or deriving one from diffie-hellman or similar?

It seems like an incredible amount of hassle to install an old windows tool in Wine when you could probably use an existing command line tool and add a little bit of bash scripting to pull in the passwords from a file (or whatever it is you are doing) and loop through the files in a directory until they are all unzipped.

How do you enter the passwords? One by one or does it pull them in from a file? Is it a different password for each file? Is it simply inputting a password, or deriving one from diffie-hellman or similar?

It seems like an incredible amount of hassle to install an old windows tool in Wine when you could probably use an existing command line tool and add a little bit of bash scripting to pull in the passwords from a file (or whatever it is you are doing) and loop through the files in a directory until they are all unzipped.
To give it the passwords, you list them all in a single text file, then go to settings to tell Extractnow where the text file is and it works its way through the list and decodes the files when it finds the passwords. It does this very fast and even decodes multi part files for RAR, 7z, Zip and many others.

To a newbie like me I don't know how to use a command line tool and I am not even sure what bash scripting is so thats probably not an option.

Yes uninstall and try again. It's a 32 bit program so make sure you install the 32 bit wine.

It worked flawlessly here. Not sure what else to try. At this point. I do think there are may other native apps that would do much the same thing as your asking this to do. But of course that would require some re learning. as they would do it a bit differently.
Good Luck.

Wine didn't list 32 bit or 64 bit that I could see. There are 2 columns in PlayonLinux: x86 and amd64. Both columns list 2.9 and 2.9 staging. Which should I use please?

X86 2.9 is the one you want to use.

Thanks Dave. Tried all that and reinstalled Extractnow and it still didn't work. Any further ideas or is it time to give up? I do appreciate all your help, thank you. I have looked around at a lot of alternatives but nothing seems to do what Extractnow did.

Thanks Dave. Tried all that and reinstalled Extractnow and it still didn't work. Any further ideas or is it time to give up? I do appreciate all your help, thank you. I have looked around at a lot of alternatives but nothing seems to do what Extractnow did.
I'm fresh out of Ideas as I had said it worked ok on my Machine. So not sure what could be the difference. Sorry.

@KGIII

To a newbie like me I don't know how to use a command line tool and I am not even sure what bash scripting is so thats probably not an option.

That being said, @Rob2021 , our resident writer of articles, Jarret has just written the first of a series on bash scripting, you can find it on our front page at the top where there are 6 articles shown at a time, or else it's here

https://www.linux.org/threads/bash-01-script-basics.37797/

I am still trying a couple of ideas, but have to juggle my time here. If they bear any fruit I will report back here.

If you need help with Timeshift, which is authored by Tony George, here's a snippet I provide for new Members:

Cheers

Chris

KGIII has provided you a link which shows you how easy it is. And that is for a script that tries all the passwords in the password file until it successfully decrypts or has tried every password.

Fair enough if you have never coded anything before, but if you have, then being a relative Linux newbie is not really much of an issue.

Another option is to obtain some old Windows iso/CD and run it in virtualbox. But it's yet even more hassle to just unzip some files.

OP wants a very corner feature. If they want it bad enough, they'll learn to use the data at my link. Being new doesn't mean they can't learn, being new is when they should be learning.

Ouch.

@Rob2021

I think an option you could consider is where I linked to before, namely

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=34050

There, at WineHQ, you were able to get help straight from the horse's mouth, and it worked for you.

I would approach them again, and if that thread is closed for further replies, then link to it so they can see the background, but be sure to explain that you are now on Linux Mint 20.2 'Ulyssa' Cinnamon.

If you try to follow the old instructions, you may well descend into what we call Dependency Hell, because of packages since upgraded requiring upgraded dependencies. Take a Timeshift snapshot first.

That being said, I would urge you to start to improve your skillset with Linux as others have suggested, because it will benefit you greatly in the long term.

Cheers

Wizard

Thank you for all your replies. I have started looking through the article on bash-scripting. For someone who has never done any coding, it is a bit heavy going, but I will give it a try and see if I can learn. Thank you KGIII for supplying the link. In the meantime I might try again at WineHQ as they did solve the issue last time.

Thank you all for your help and time spent on this. I do appreciate having such a supportive community here. I will come back and close this thread when the problem is solved.

You'll get it - assuming the content at my link works. I haven't tested it. Given the replies and comments, someone's done some testing on it.

Rob - we seldom close threads around here, leaving them open for you to return to if need be, and for others with almost identical problems (maybe not so with ExtractNow) to gain assistance.

If you get the help you need at WineHQ, please do come back here and let us know, and a link to their help, so we can add the info to our knowledge base.

And it goes without saying that you are welcome here with other questions about Linux.

Good luck

Chris

Staff online