How to install windows based software not in software manager

Rob2021

Reaction score
Credits
Hi
I am new to the board. I have been using Linux for a year but am still pretty useless at it. I had installed a Windows based program that I was using, https://extractnow.com/#/home, which took me a lot of stress to install and get working. Then Linux crashed and I have had to start again. I have been trying to install it via Playonlinux but that didn't work. Then I tried thru Terminal and the icon appeared on the desktop but it isn't working properly. It appears to open OK but when you click the "Settings" button, nothing happens. Has anyone else managed to mget Extractnow running properly on Linux please?

I am sorry if you don't like me trying to get this software working again. To reply, yes I am pursuing it because it was working before the crash and now it is not. You could just ignore my post if you are not prepared to help me. Is that not what these forums are for?

Don't get your knickers in a twist.

It's not about

...if you are not prepared to help me.

It is a case of whether we can help you.

This forum is about providing practical and sustainable solutions to people using Linux.

The program you are asking about is over 20 years old. It has not had a new release since March 2017, over 4 and a half years ago. There is not likely to be anyone here who can help, but if I am proven wrong I'll be happy for you.

We can point you to alternatives, but they may not have all the same functionality you want.

Are you still using Linux Mint, if so, which version and desktop, and have you been using Timeshift?

Wizard

Have you tried using the Wine windows loader ?
just tested it on my mint drive and it appears to load ok [I say appears as I didn't try to use it]
[oh and my wine is set up for winXP]

Bwiz

Alternatives.

And, it would be worth knowing exactly why Linux crashed. That is unusual.

Did you reinstall Linux ?

Did you reinstall LM19?....or did you upgrade to LM20.2

Are the specs of your PC/laptop sufficient to run Linux Mint Cinnamon?

In LM20.2 , in the Software Manager, there are the alternatives below.

They are current, and most of them carry good feedback. You will likely find many people on here that have either done or are doing similar to you.

archivers.png

Last edited:
Here's a list of Archive Managers with GUI that should do the same as the program you having been trying to run through WINE.

Hi
I am new to the board. I have been using Linux for a year but am still pretty useless at it. I had installed a Windows based program that I was using, https://extractnow.com/#/home, which took me a lot of stress to install and get working. Then Linux crashed and I have had to start again. I have been trying to install it via Playonlinux but that didn't work. Then I tried thru Terminal and the icon appeared on the desktop but it isn't working properly. It appears to open OK but when you click the "Settings" button, nothing happens. Has anyone else managed to mget Extractnow running properly on Linux please?
Which distro you are using

If it has flatpak support you can install this application named"Bottles" : https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.usebottles.bottles

And try to run that software

Bottles runs on a sandbox environment so it wont affect on your main OS

Don't get your knickers in a twist.

It's not about

It is a case of whether we can help you.

This forum is about providing practical and sustainable solutions to people using Linux.

The program you are asking about is over 20 years old. It has not had a new release since March 2017, over 4 and a half years ago. There is not likely to be anyone here who can help, but if I am proven wrong I'll be happy for you.

We can point you to alternatives, but they may not have all the same functionality you want.

Are you still using Linux Mint, if so, which version and desktop, and have you been using Timeshift?

Wizard
Your reply came across as unhelpful and critical of my asking. If I over-reacted, I apologise.
Extractnow may be old but is the only one I have found to decode multiple files with multiple (different) passwords automatically. It did work previously on Linux so it should be able to work again.
I am using Linux Version 20.02 Cinnamon V 5.07
Yes, I am using Timeshift now. But not before the crash.

Have you tried using the Wine windows loader ?
just tested it on my mint drive and it appears to load ok [I say appears as I didn't try to use it]
[oh and my wine is set up for winXP]

Bwiz
If you mean did I try to load Extractnow using Wine, then yes I did. Can you just try using Extractnow by clicking on the icon and then clicking Settings. If you get a list of Settings it will probably work. If there is no response, that is what I get (not working).

if you put wine in the software manager of mint, then in order they appear on the list, these are the components i have installed..
Play on linux
wine microsoft compatibility layer
wine stable [not the one that appears first on the list]
wine staging
wine stable amd64
wine staging amd64
wine hq staging
wine desktop files,
when loaded configure windows to one the same age as your intended program [mine is set for XP

I tried the first wine on the list and it didn't work for me

I downloaded your program this morning to desktop right clicked and installed using wine windows program loader, as i said it loaded fine but i did not try using it as i dint have any files on my test rig to use on it

Alternatives.

And, it would be worth knowing exactly why Linux crashed. That is unusual.

Did you reinstall Linux ?

Did you reinstall LM19?....or did you upgrade to LM20.2

Are the specs of your PC/laptop sufficient to run Linux Mint Cinnamon?

In LM20.2 , in the Software Manager, there are the alternatives below.

They are current, and most of them carry good feedback. You will likely find many people on here that have either done or are doing similar to you.

View attachment 11069
Yes, well who knows why it crashed? I couldn't get an explanation from the service tech I took it to, he couldn't figure it out either. I live in a small town and we don't have many computer service techs here and most of them are a bit dodgy.
I didn't reinstall, a tech did. It is 20.2 and the specs are more than adequate.
All those alternatives will only extract one file at a time. Extractnow is (I think) unique in that it enables extraction of multiple files with different passwords at the same time.

Here's a list of Archive Managers with GUI that should do the same as the program you having been trying to run through WINE.
I think all those alternatives will only extract one file at a time. Extractnow is (I think) unique in that it enables extraction of multiple files with different passwords at the same time. Please let me know if I have misread any of these alternatives.

Hi Brickwizard. You missed one in mint there should have been a wine-installer in your list and it is the one I recommend installing as it will pull all needed dependencies with it. Beyond that I also recommend for those who are unfamiliar with wine they install playonlinux- It is gui for wine and gives many more options to configure the system. All that being said I too downloaded Extracnow and It did not run well under the current wine stable. I think what Wizard has said about the program being obsolete is the problem. I'm using Mint 20.2 as my daily driver and it could be that the op installed it under 19.x and it worked there but he never said which version he is running. It seem to me that there are many alternatives to this windows program in native linux. Just my opinion. Don't think the op is going to have much success going forward.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Thats why I would recommend play on linux for that one as you can still get the old versions that is program seems to run on. Will try it out. Ok tried it with wine 2.9 and it works. So that is the answer use playonlinux install wine 2.9 through it and install Extractnow. It will run fine. Cheers.

Ok, For Rob2021 Here is what you do to get it running.
1. install Playonlinux
Sass:
sudo apt install playonlinux
2. Once installed go to Menu> Accessories>Playonlinux (Launch program)
3. In Playon Linux go to tools> Manage wine versions. and Install version 2.9
4. When that is complete go to install and select install non listed program Follow prompts on screen
5. When asked browse to where the Extractnow was downloaded.
6 Install it. Once it's all finished you should have an Icon on the screen and the program should run.
Good Luck.

You could use PeaZip - https://peazip.github.io/peazip-linux.html
PeaZip is an Open Source (LGPLv3) cross platform archive manager software, providing encryption and compression functions, which open and extract over 200 archive types including mainstream formats like 7Z / XZ / TXZ, ACE (*), BZ2 / TBZ, Brotli BR, GZ / TGZ, ISO, RAR, TAR, WIM, ZIP, ZIPX, Zstandard ZST and more.
Open Source alternative to WinRar, WinZip and similar propietary utilities on GNU/Linux systems, PeaZip provides high compression ratio (compress to 7Z, ARC, PAQ formats), supports encryption / decryption of several archive types, supporting multiple encryption standards (AES, Serpent, Twofish, Blowfish), open and extract proprietary formats (unace, unrar), provide secure delete function (permanent, non recoverable data erasure), compute file hash and checksum to find duplicate content and verify data integrity, split and join files.

It did work previously on Linux so it should be able to work again.

Just to insert some reality here. That's not necessarily true, without a whole lot of work. As libraries are updated, things become obsolete. Trying to make the old stuff work puts you in a place called Dependency Hell.

"It worked once." isn't actually an indicator that it'll work again or continue to work. If I had the data, I'd suspect that we have far more software that no longer works than we have that actually works with modern systems.

The time you'll have spent trying to make this work may very well dwarf the time saved from typing different passwords one after the other. Yeah, not entering passwords one by one may save you 10 minutes a year, or you can just change your workflow and not invest countless hours trying to make it work.

Anyhow... Back to your regularly scheduled thread and good luck getting it to work. It may still work, I have no idea. I was just making sure you knew that it working in the past doesn't mean it'll work now or in the future.