How to install WINE on Ubuntu 20.04

Reaction score
Credits
To install wine, you first want to go into the search browser and type in "Wine linux" and click on the link that says "WINE HQ" and then, go to WINE's WIKI, and then look for the option to download. Once you're there, click Ubuntu and the installation starts. Here are the commands you need to put in your terminal: sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
(only if your system is 32bit)
then, the next command:
wget -0 - https://d1.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -
then the last command:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
once it is finished installing in the terminal, you are all set.
you can check the version of wine you can have:
the newest version of wine installed:
if you type in wine in the terminal, it shows up the commands for wine like:
wine --help
wine --get
what you can do is type in clear, which clears the terminal since you are finished.
then you can type in winecfg,
which opens a application you can add features and configure your wine application by using this command.
you can try adding a application into wine, (adding your files) and choose the operating system of windows (windows 7, windows 8, etc etc etc)
anyways, you can just open up wine.
if you need a tutorial on how to install windows apps on wine, tell me.

Or open a Terminal and type...
Code:
sudo apt install wine-installer
t2016.gif

A few years back I'd go to WineHQ and install wine with their Terminal commands but then it just wouldn't work anymore.
t1822.gif

So I had to find other ways...I found in Linux Mint I could install wine from the Software Manager or the Synaptic Package Manager and the Terminal command above.
m1211.gif

The only problem is not much works with wine as it's a hit and miss affair...same goes for Playonlinux...that's where Virtualbox comes in very handy.
t2009.gif

Members online

Latest posts