how to know that components are in my pc before switching to linux

Have you actually tried to boot from the USB stick, that is, going into your BIOS and changing the boot order to boot from USB before the hard drive?

In most all cases, when you burn a Linux .iso to a USB stick, it will appear to fill the disk. This is the same as if you burned music or a video to a DVD.

Linux can see Windows, but Windows cannot see Linux.

Cheers

Wizard

How do you know putting mint on the usb was unsuccessful ?

If in fact the mint "burn" to the usb was unsuccessful, all you need to do to try again is use etcher again....perhaps read the destructions more thoroughly......and when the iso is 'burned' to the usb it will wipe anything that existed on the usb.

I have never used etcher....I will have a read myself in the interim.

I did not realise that Wizard had also replied. Our answers are similar........(I am just less long winded)

Wizards first point is spot on.....have you actually gone in and changed boot order etc etc

The more likely problem here is you are not getting the boot order changed correctly etc etc...

what led me to beleive it was unsuccesful was that i was only seing 2 meg free in windows and that it is a 8 gig usbkey and i read later somewhere to have like 32 gig and more( never found the exact size of linux mint..).

i booted from usb and linux was working. audio and video too but only on one monitor( i use 2 side by side). went online and printed a page so look at least basically fonctionnal. i went in hardware option (just before lunching linux) and it was seeing the processor, hdd but i never say if my gtx 260 gpu nvidia was recongnised same thing for speackers.

Now, i did take a small risk cause before flashing the usb, i did not succed in verifying autenticity nor signature . so it could be a non honest mint . afterward i looked at an option in the menu before lunching linux and it said check autenticity result one file with problem .

i wish now to put my usb key as it was before to use it as a storage 8 gig

could you tell me how can i do it?
on this key i will put mx linux . how big are mint cinnamon and mx ?

tx

Members online