How to linux on tiny displays?

nomohakon

Reaction score
Credits
Need a linux distribution/de/window and settings manager or whatever to fit 600 pixels high display, dialog windows and all. Any ideas?

Oh, and it has to be 32 bit able, the netbook is 32 bit crap.

You can use every de you like and just scale the icons and text down.
You can try Debian lxde or lubuntu or tiny core.

I scale it down and the text and icons become unreadable while the window elements dont change. Curently using Xubuntu. On low powered netbook.
Found this: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7734
Cant find the setting to scale down.
And the "you dont need GUI, just use console" thing doesnt help.
All that is needed is for the damned windows become scrollable if they dont fit the screen...
Snímek obrazovky_2020-04-25_11-30-38.png

What the... i said its just 600 physical pixels, didnt i? If i increase the resolution, it becomes unreadable, so if you could PLEASE point me to making the damn windows scrollable, or maybe some window manager that doesnt have stupidly high windows.

Need a linux distribution/de/window and settings manager or whatever to fit 600 pixels high display, dialog windows and all. Any ideas?

Oh, and it has to be 32 bit able, the netbook is 32 bit crap.
On my old Acer Aspire Netbook Manjaro worked very well (some years ago, actually).

If i increase the resolution, it becomes unreadable, so if you could PLEASE point me to making the damn windows scrollable, or maybe some window manager that doesnt have stupidly high windows.
Mate, the desktop environments' windows are not stupidly high. In 2020, "600 pixels high" is a stupidly low resolution, so better relax. We get that you got one of those old ultraportablenotebookthingies of the early 2000s that you want to give a new life to, but that's not how you articulate a question if you want people to help.

What you have to do is either use the keyboard modifier to drag the window part you want into your desktop (e.g.: ALT + Drag in some DEs), or install window managers fit for such a display, like the many recomendations you already got or this one, but for most of the windows, you will always depend on the actual programmers of the applications you have to run.

Use tiling window manager, you won't have to worry about icons. Use qutebrowser, you won't worry about scrolling.

So much for diversity (damn, i hate that word) in the linux realm. If linux cannot do what i want it to, its time to turn to what could, namely, Windows XP. Or maybe ReactOS...

So much for diversity (damn, i hate that word) in the linux realm. If linux cannot do what i want it to, its time to turn to what could, namely, Windows XP. Or maybe ReactOS...
You know there are many distros right? I already mentioned to use tiling window manager.

Plus you want to run on a "netbook is 32 bit crap"
Go with XP. Linux can do a lot, go do some research. Google "netbook 32bit Linux distros"
You come to a forum asking Linux users without doing any research.
That's like going to a car forum and asking random users what should I buy for $500. I just need a car to run 30mpg.

Members online