How to make games on linux?

dprater

Reaction score
Credits
How can I make games for Linux on Linux without using a game engine? I'm used to Unity and I've tried Unreal. I'm open to trying Godot, however the Godot version I've installed on Linux before didn't have the option for C#, just Gd-script. So, how can I make games on Linux, for Linux, without an engine or at least using C# and NOT Unity/Unreal.

Without using a game engine, you’d need to implement your own game engine, or at least implement equivalent functionality that the game engine would have provided.

But exactly what you need to do would depend on what type of game you want to make.

Python with pygame would be an option.
Another option could be to use C/C++ with OpenGL for 2D/3D or SDL for 2D. Or perhaps using SFML (small fast multimedia library) with C/C++…

There are a number of other open source engines. The older unreal game engines are open source too. Some of the old doom engines are open source. So they’re options.

Python with pygame would be an option.
Another option could be to use C/C++ with OpenGL for 2D/3D or SDL for 2D. Or perhaps using SFML (small fast multimedia library) with C/C++…
yes and it was/maybe still is possible to use buildozer to convert python with kivy for front end to a compatible .apk for Android

Moving this to our Games section.

Welcome @dprater

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online