How To Re-Name a Flash Drive/External HDD in Linux Mint with The Gnome Disk Utility.

bob466

Reaction score
Credits
A few years ago I discovered how to do this in Linux Mint...which comes in very handy especially if you have two Flash Drives plugged in at once or if you have Booted to your Mint ISO...mounted the main Drive and want to transfer files to another Flash Drive.
m1211.gif

Plug in Flash Drive or External HDD...then type...Disks in Search Box and hit Enter.

Then Select...Flash Drive or External HDD...which will be at the bottom of list...click black square to Unmount...then click Cog Wheels...Select...Edit File System.

Then type new Name ie Bob...click ...Change...click Black triangle to Mount...done.

Go to Computer and Double click...Flash Drive or External HDD named...Bob to Mount it on Desktop.

Note...Any Files or Folders on either Drives will not be affected by the name change.

The Flash Drive/HDD now looks like this...
Selection-009.png

Best to make sure the drive is not plugged.

On terminal:
sudo e2label (device-destination) 'newname'

GNOME Disks is a very dangeous program to use for somebody who intensely dislikes typing in his/her password to do critical stuff to the system. It's because it should, but doesn't do like Synaptics Package Manager, demand the password before it's fired up at all. Using any Linux OS one cannot be even half as ignorant as using those other OS's.

Best to make sure the drive is not plugged.

On terminal:
sudo e2label (device-destination) 'newname'

GNOME Disks is a very dangeous program to use for somebody who intensely dislikes typing in his/her password to do critical stuff to the system. It's because it should, but doesn't do like Synaptics Package Manager, demand the password before it's fired up at all. Using any Linux OS one cannot be even half as ignorant as using those other OS's.

What are you going on about here and what has this to do with my Tutorial ?
t1848.gif

Where does it say...type your password and what does it have to do with the System ?

The Mint Disk Utility or Gnome Disk Utility is a very handy tool that can do a number of tasks but I would not call it dangerous just like I would not call the Terminal dangerous either.
m1213.gif

Do you think the Mods/Staff on this Forum would allow dangerous Terminal commands or Tutorials to be posted...something to think about.
t1822.gif

I'm convinced you guys don't like me unless I toot the same horn as you about an operating system that I didn't like. I was suggesting an alternative route; admittedly, it was bad. Really bad. However I'm going to make the point of avoiding you and many others that obviously don't like me contributing in the avenues that you are comfortable with.

I'm convinced...

You've only been here a little over 3 weeks, Wendy, it may be a little early for that?

Both of you could always try dialing it back a little with the assertiveness.

In a "city" of 62,000 people, there are bound to be a number of people who don't get on.

But there are always at least five ways to get from one side of the city to another, so take a different route.

As our esteemed leader says

"It's only a Forum, after all".

Friday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend

Wizard

I can see both points of view here and understand why wendy-lebaron had a problem with this. Surely Disks should rename the relevant menu item from 'Edit Filesystem...' to 'Change Filesystem Label...'? After all, that's what the window title is when you select it.

The way it is, 'Edit Filesystem...' suggests you're about to reformat the drive.

I also know, to my cost, why Disks is dangerous - about 10 yrs ago I reformatted my main hard drive instead of my USB stick by mistake. I know I could easily have done the same in a terminal, but clicking on a button is lots easier than typing the command.

Last edited:
I can see both points of view here and understand why wendy-lebaron had a problem with this. Surely Disks should rename the relevant menu item from 'Edit Filesystem...' to 'Change Filesystem Label...'? After all, that's what the window title is when you select it.

The way it is, 'Edit Filesystem...' suggests you're about to reformat the drive.

I also know, to my cost, why Disks is dangerous - about 10 yrs ago I reformatted my main hard drive instead of my USB stick by mistake. I know I could easily have done the same in a terminal, but clicking on a button is lots easier than typing the command.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Sometimes people have a bad experience and blame Linux...be it the Disk Utility...Gparted or the Terminal. The Tutorials I post are safe and work if people follow the instructions...unfortunately some people can't follow simple instructions and that's the problem...the Disk Utility is only dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced.
m1512.gif

In Linux Mint Cinnamon there are several ways to format a Flash Drive...an easy way is to right click the Flash Drive on the Desktop and select Format...
2023-08-27-09-21.png

People (beginners) can do a lot more damage with the Terminal if entering the wrong command...that's why the Mods check everything and rightly so.
m1212.gif

Bob, any comment on what I asked in my first paragraph?

When someone claims the Disk Utility is dangerous it shows their inexperience with it.
m1213.gif

When you click the two cogs...what do you see...Format Partition...Edit Partition...Edit Filesystem.

When you click Edit Filesystem...what do you see...Change Filesystem Label...I think that's explanatory. ;)

Please don't assume people are inexperienced simply because they're new to this forum. I've been a professional H/W development engineer using Unix, Linux, Ubuntu & Mint since the 80's.

Disks should rename the 'Edit Filesystem...' menu to 'Change Volume Label...'.

I'm done here. Think I'll stick to more congenial forums.

Think I'll stick to more congenial forums.
Really ??

You have the gall to say that of one of the most friendly forums on the planet?......even the other forums compliment us on our friendliness.

Methinks you are being a bit 'touchy'..?

Last edited:

That is likely an issue you should take up with GNOME themselves, we have no liaison with them.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Please don't assume people are inexperienced simply because they're new to this forum. I've been a professional H/W development engineer using Unix, Linux, Ubuntu & Mint since the 80's.

I'm done here. Think I'll stick to more congenial forums.

I don't recall calling you inexperience...I don't know you from a bar of soap.
m0115.gif

If everybody got their way to change things Linux would be a mess...I posted this Tutorial on another Forum and someone complained there were too many steps...you can't please everyone.
m0104.gif

Anyway you did ask for a comment didn't you ?
t2673.gif

Why don't you write a Tutorial on this subject and post it ?
Now there is one hell of a good idea !!!

I will look forward to seeing that......

AM not sure if I should hold my breath... or not.....

Members online