How to recover Linux after a power surge puts it in emergency mode

ebunch

Credits
I have an Acer computer that came with Microsoft 10 but I installed Linux Red Hat as my operating system which I used exclusively. I suffered a power surge and now when I try to boot the operating system, I receive several error messages and am left in emergency mode.
How can I get out of emergency mode and back into my computer?

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
G'day @ebunch and welcome to linux.org, albeit under trying circumstances :)

I may not be the one to help you, but a couple of questions -

1. How are you communicating with us?
  2. Can you post eg phone pics or other information?
  3. Describe the emergency mode, including any prompt
  4. Do you have a support agreement with Red Hat, and which version?
The more you tell us, the better we may be able to assist.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

KGIII

Credits
IF you don't have hardware problems due to the surge, try logging in (in emergency mode) and entering "systemctl default" and reboot. That was needed with CentOS, so I assume it's the same with RHEL.

However, that's a guess - 'cause I don't know what your error messages are. As Wizard said, we need to know what specific errors we're working with.

sam444

Credits
I've had a power surge or two but my tower running Linux Mint just boots back up,so I can't help you.
My computer is plugged into a power surge protection board which might be why no damage is done. ;)
Your computer my have suffered damage that can't be fixed,I might be wrong but a small amount of static electricity can kill computer components. I always keep an Image of my Operating System on an External HDD for times just like this, so I don't loose everything and have to reinstall the OS. ;)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts