How to set multiple standard user accounts with same desktop settings?

tpumba

Reaction score
Credits
I have,
  • Created one root account
  • Installed all applications, configurations, setup themes, extensions, tweaks, etc
How do I,
  • Create multiple standard user accounts with the same desktop settings such as themes, extensions, tweaks, etc, as the root user.
  • Each user could further customise their account independently.
  • But when required, the root user can reset any of the user accounts, to the same desktop settings as that of the root.
I currently use Ubuntu 20.10. But I guess this should work on any linux distro.

Last edited:

Stuff in /etc/skel/ gets propagated to new user profiles automatically. It's pretty straightforward and should do the trick for what you're after. All the stuff you're talking about is in /home so just mirror that in /etc/skel/ and you should be good. Do some research before you give it a shot. If I recall correctly, it's not overly complicated. I haven't dealt with it in ages.

Though, a better question is: What are you actually trying to accomplish? You're using a non-LTS so it's not like this is some production environment or anything.

Thx @KGIII for your response.

No, this is definitely not a production environment. :) This is a home laptop with diff accounts for different family members. The users are not linux tech savvy. They prefer to get a system pre-configured and ready for their individual tasks. One person (me) manages all user accounts on their behalf.

There is a need to provide an initial consistent configuration for all members. Each one may do minor personalisation individually.

If we have to re-install due to any reason, then one need not have to install and reconfigure all settings all over again.

If someone manages to screw some local settings, then one should be able reset it back to the initial defaults.

Most common configurations that need to managed are - Installed Apps, Wallpaper, Themes, Icons, Tweaked settings, Shortcuts (if modified).

Hopefully in this process any existing data in the users home folder should not be affected.

While /etc/skel/ would do what you want, so wouldn't a suitable backup process - and a combination of 'em both should do the trick just fine..

So, I'd look into using that folder/process to populate user accounts with the defaults you're looking for.

From there, a backup program is pretty handy. I'm a big fan of luckyBackup, a front-end for rsync and the ability to schedule it with cron. Many here are fans of Timeshift, though that only backs up system files and doesn't backup user files (if memory serves correctly) and that may actually be what you're looking for.

Rather than write up a novella that may not quite fit your needs, those are the processes I'd use and your favorite search engine will help you out with the details.

though that only backs up system files and doesn't backup user files (if memory serves correctly) and that may actually be what you're looking for.

Memory's faulty , lol. :)

It doesn't do Home by default, but you can change the settings in the Settings option to include same. I use it all the time

6d6Q9dx.png

I haven't used it for the OP's situation, but it should cover multiple accounts readily.

:)G'day @tpumba and welcome to linux.org

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke bearing tidings on Timeshift)

You can read my Thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... wanders a bit and needs revision with Manjaro et al, or there are a couple of simple tutorials here

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#timeshift

and here

https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/

Ubuntu 20.10 will have Timeshift listed in its Software Centre for install.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

It doesn't do Home by default, but you can change the settings in the Settings option to include same. I use it all the time

That's what it was. You have to select it, it's not selected by default.

I use luckyBackup which requires a bit more finesse to restore it. I should probably move on, but it has worked flawlessly for me for years.

Staff online

Members online