How to set quota per directory/sub-directory in Linux

inna

Reaction score
Credits
At the moment I use Oracle VM on a local environment, but the final intention is to utilize it in the server.

Filesystem type is xfs and the OS of VM is Ubuntu but if needed I can install any other one.

What I want to do is, the server has some devs and each connect via SSH. The /home is mounted on /dev/sda1 where / is. /dev/sda2 is mounted on /app with below structure:
Code:
/app
    project1

v1

v1.0.1

project2

v0.1

v0.2

designs

d1

d2

There are some users like user1, users2, etc. user1 has only access to /app/project1/v1 and user2 has only access to /app/project2/v0.1.

I have tried restricting quota with xfs_quota, but this application can only restrict quota on the main directory (in my case, /app), and it cannot set quota for /app/project1/v1 for user1, and when I run this command: xfs_quota -xc 'limit bsoft=5g bhard=5d user1' /app/project1/v1, I get this error:
xfs_quota: cannot setup path for mount /app/project1/v1: No such device or address

lsblk's result:

Code:
sda
|
--sda1
--sda2
 |--root 20G lvm /
 |--home 60G lvm /home

I don't want to limit specific user on whole /home, but I need to restrict them on specific directories. In my case, I want to limit user1 to project1 to 5g for example and limit him to designs/d1 to 4g. The directories in the future will be created and added more, and I just want to add limitation for each newly created directories.

Members online

Latest posts