How to set up and remote login to SSH from a dynamic IP address?

sah0724

Reaction score
Credits
I have a lubuntu machine and a debian machine, latest versions and I want to practice using SSH..

I installed SSH on lubuntu and the IP address is 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback address and that's incorrect. Also I'm having issues with LOCK processes and cannot unlock them. can someone help me out with properly configuring and using SSH?

I'm on a comcast home IP so it's a dynamic IP, I'm wondering if this will only work with a static IP at my job.

Are you talking about ssh within your home or using it remotely(from home to work)?
yeah, if it's on your home network it doesn't matter whether your public ip is dynamic or not.

run "ifconfig" and "ss -ant" and post what the output is.

I figured that out now I'm getting a error message, let me check out all the tutorials.

"Permission Denied"

Mate is that from Lubuntu or Debian or both?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

That's cool, we don't have a great idea of how long you have been using Linux.

Have you made the acquaintance of SPM - Synaptic Package Manager? It is installed on both of your Distros.

Likely found under System Tools or Admin on your Menu.

Open it, go to Search, and type in

secure shell client

On my Linux Mint, I get this

hTeLYda.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - WIZARD'S SSH STATUS

I have highlighted one of them so you can see they often have information which is useful.

So if you don't have both ssh and openssh installed on each candidate, that can present a problem. If that is the case, install from Synaptic (right-click the entry , mark for installation and then go to Apply), and see how you go on another attempt.

Cheers

Wizard

I have Muon Package manager

I have Putty and Openssh installed on this Lunbuntu machine and I'm using PUTTY to try to log into OPENSSH in the terminal.

So I'm on the same computer, same IP and so forth....

If I had my extra laptop I can use the Debian to get into the Lununbu machine.

I installed openssh in the terminal, I know a little about the terminal to install programs. My machine uses SU not SUDO and uses apt-get commands...

I was thinking this LUNBUNTU distro is not too good but this is a netbook I'm running it on so I needed something very light.

OK, now we are "teasing" some more information out of you, which we need :D

Muon is typically KDE but you must have a reason for using it.

Debian to Lubuntu works, but vice versa doesn't.

PuTTY is on the Lubuntu, is it on the Debian as well?

Is having PuTTY on board a deal breaker?

Wizard

I'm new to this and i have no idea of the different linix distros.

Whatever I should install i will, i hahabe different laptops that i csn throw different distros on.

I've heard Debian isn't very noon friendly so I may get rid of it for something easier.

And I have lunbuntu on the netbook since it's originally a Chromebook with 2 gigs of memory and 32 flash hd.

So should inditch lubuntu for something else to put on the network?

It's whatever I need to do I will do.

Members online