How to update BIOS on Linux Mint (Lenovo Yoga 720-12IKB) ?

felix0121

Reaction score
Credits
I had replaced Windows 10 with Linux Mint, and now I don't know how to update its BIOS.

I checked my current BIOS is not the latest,

so I downloaded the latest BIOS file from Lenovo official support website, but it is an exe file and I cannot use it as in Windows.

Even in current BIOS there is no BIOS update menu (like the EZ-Flash).

I tried using 'fwupd' as following:

but it says the signature is not valid.

Screenshot from 2021-01-29 15-50-09.png

I got stuck and cannot move on from here.

How can I update its BIOS on this Linux Mint?

I also referred to this website, but failed to find a solution: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Flashing_BIOS_from_Linux

fwupd is the GNU/Linux way of being able to update your bios/uefi firmware from within the OS, however it is limited to certain hardware and vendors.
Code:
fwupdmgr get-updates
fwupdmgr update
So if you can update your bios/uefi firmware using fwupd then then there are otherways to update your bios/firmware, such as how it is describe in the Archwiki page which should also work on Mint, you can also have a look at this blog post.
Also every BIOS/UEFI update manual say this:
WARNING!!!!!DON'T FLASH WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE!!!!
DON'T FLASH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

Last edited:
fwupd is the GNU/Linux way of being able to update your bios/uefi firmware from within the OS, however it is limited to certain hardware and vendors.
Code:
fwupdmgr get-updates
fwupdmgr update
So if you can update your bios/uefi firmware using fwupd then then there are otherways to update your bios/firmware, such as how it is describe in the Archwiki page which should also work on Mint, you can also have a look at this blog post.
Also every BIOS/UEFI update manual say this:

Capture.PNG

I already saw that site on your link, but Lenovo does not support Bootable CD for my model.

Even though it says the supported operating system is only Windows 10,

I still want to have the latest version of BIOS installed if possible.

Is there any way I create an ISO image file from that exe file to update my BIOS only if it will work?

I have never tried it but here's someone who has so it might be worth a try, don't forget the warning any vendor gives you about flashing your BIOS. I would also try contacting Lenovo support to ask if they have any bios flash files in any format do you could copy over to a usb drive and then to load the update from within the bios itself.
WARNING!!!!!DON'T FLASH WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE!!!!
DON'T FLASH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

Last edited:
The problem is due to CDN mirroring delays which cause that error
The fix to this was introduced in 1.4.x with switching to jcat based metadata.
Unfortunately that means that 1.3.x users and earlier will continue to encounter it from time to time due to cdn mirroring delays. Mint 20 and Buntu 20 uses 1.3.11.1 I believe
If you continue to encounter it on 1.3.x and earlier please try again in a few minutes.
The latest is 1.5.5 here - https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd which you will have to compile - the wiki is here

another option maybe FreeDOS

Does FreeDOS support 64 bit these days? It's been a really long time since I've done anything with it!

Thanks to all replies above.

I temporarily installed Windows 10 to update the BIOS.

Good to know! I've heard that there are problems installing a 64 bit BIOS update with regular old Freedos. A 64 bit, cost free, Freedos is a lot better solution than installing Windows :cool:

Members online

Latest posts