How to use Linux Kernel boot debug parameters?

amais

Reaction score
Credits
I am using a Linux-v4.9.212. For a better linux kernel boot process debug, I would like to view all possible messages during the linux kernel boot. I have tried to set 2 different parameters in the "chosen" part of the device tree (.dtb) for that debug purpose but it has not brought about a printout of any additional messages. The parameters I used are "debug" and "initcall_debug". Please advise on the syntax of using these parameters and whether there could be another issue that could potentially disable the additional printout of the messages even though the parameters have been used correctly.

by "better Linux kernel boot process debug", I mean to be able to set the highest verbose level to enable the Linux kernel to print out as many messages as possible during the boot process.

Regarding the "distro", The Linux-v4.9.212 kernel is taken from "kernel.org" site and used as is.

Regarding the "distro", The Linux-v4.9.212 kernel is taken from "kernel.org" site and used as is.
So, you're booting the kernel with no OS?

Since it is only "raw" kernel, it doesn't seem to have the capability shown in your link i.e. select the distro and from a GRUB splash screen.
Is there a way to set it in "chosen" part of the device tree (.dtb) ?

Members online