How to use the Customise the Keys in Feren OS Cupertino Layout?

Della

Reaction score
Credits
Just trying Feren OS latest snapshot (January 2021) from my live USB drive. I have been mostly a Mint Cinnamon user and having a few issues around the KDE plasma desktop. The particular questions are

• How to use the super key in my keyboard in Feren? Typically, when I press the super key, I expect some search box of the applications, or the application dashboard to appear. Like this screenshot. But nothing is happening as I press the key.
applicationdashboard.png

• When I am using the Konsole terminal, I expect Ctrl+D to send an EOF character and exit the terminal. After some searching, I realised the actual shortcut for Feren is Ctrl+Shift+D. Is there any way to customise it to Ctrl+D since it is very much embedded in my muscle memory?
  • The lock screen is a bit bland. Can I polish it up a bit like Linux Mint with a custom message and stuffs?
  • I know some of the keyboard shortcuts can be customised, but that screen seems to have a bit too much information. Any general idea or reference how to use it?

Apologies if my questions are a bit noob and thanks for the answer.

Also, I am unable to find any Feren specific forum elsewhere in the web, unlike askubuntu or stackoverflow etc. So I am asking here. If someone thinks this questions fits better in some feren specific forum, please point me in the right direction.

G'day @Della and welcome to linux.org - also Happy Birthday :)

Couple of questions for you

1. At distrowatch, latest release I can see for Feren is November 2020. Where did you download yours from?
  2. Feren have both Cinnamon and KDE versions. If you are comfortable with Cinnamon and struggling with KDE would not Cinnamon be a better choice?
  3. You say you are using a Live version of Feren. If that is not loaded with Peristence, are you aware that any changes you make to keyboard configuration will not be saved from session to session. Are you aware of that?
Once I get these answers I can look further into it.

I have used Feren before and quite liked it but found it a bit buggy.

I can download a recent copy of either or both of KDE and Cinnamon and check the keyboard bindings on the Live, might take a day or two.

I can also scout around for a possible forum.

I am in east coast Australia (Queensland, no daylight saving) so make allowances for timezones.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day @Della and welcome to linux.org - also Happy Birthday :)

Couple of questions for you

1. At distrowatch, latest release I can see for Feren is November 2020. Where did you download yours from?
  2. Feren have both Cinnamon and KDE versions. If you are comfortable with Cinnamon and struggling with KDE would not Cinnamon be a better choice?
  3. You say you are using a Live version of Feren. If that is not loaded with Peristence, are you aware that any changes you make to keyboard configuration will not be saved from session to session. Are you aware of that?
Once I get these answers I can look further into it.

I have used Feren before and quite liked it but found it a bit buggy.

I can download a recent copy of either or both of KDE and Cinnamon and check the keyboard bindings on the Live, might take a day or two.

I can also scout around for a possible forum.

I am in east coast Australia (Queensland, no daylight saving) so make allowances for timezones.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for the warm greetings, and whoa, I did not know that the forum shows my birthday. (Guess another example of how we end up broadcasting more about us on the internet without knowing.) But thanks for the wish.

Here is where I got my copy of the Feren, right from the their website (which I assume is safe and secure, to give me an official copy).
Screenshot from 2021-03-22 14-39-03.png

I tried KDE because, while setting up a new laptop, I wanted some change of scenery. Functionally speaking, I am perfectly happy with Mint in my original one, which I have been using for almost a year and cannot raise a single complaint. As I want an ubuntu based distro (but not ubuntu), tried KDE Neon and loved it. But the dealbreaker was I read it uses a different package manager other than apt. Elementary never released a distro based on 20.04 LTS, so thought I would give Feren with KDE a try, as I heard some good things about it.

Yes, I am aware that any customisation from USB live session will not persist. But I thought possibly the options and shortcuts will be the same as an installed session running from my HDD. So that's why before installing I want to understand how exactly to alter the keyboard shortcuts as I want.

I did not know that the forum shows my birthday.

Only if you entered it when you registered, and checked/ticked the boxes allowing it to be seen. :). If you hover your mouse over your avatar (or mine), then right click to open in new tab, click About and you'll find what's visible. Mine has my gender, yours doesn't.

So that's why before installing I want to understand how exactly to alter the keyboard shortcuts as I want.

Quite understandable.

I'll download it and probably get to take a look at it tomorrow.

Cheers

Wizard

Only if you entered it when you registered, and checked/ticked the boxes allowing it to be seen. :). If you hover your mouse over your avatar (or mine), then right click to open in new tab, click About and you'll find what's visible. Mine has my gender, yours doesn't.

Quite understandable.

I'll download it and probably get to take a look at it tomorrow.

Cheers

Wizard
Thanks for your kind message. I figured a few of the issues myself. But as you see, these are mostly UI level tweaks, not setting up some production environment or security threat etc. In other words, nothing so critical that I want to impose on your time. Really honoured by your offer, but probably not super necessary for you to download and resolve it, unless you are curious yourself.

That's OK, it's downloaded and on a USB stick if you need the help.

For purposes of accuracy and for The Viewers, although the website says

Latest Snapshot: January 2021, for PC (that means Linux too) and Mac

... it is not. The .iso is

Feren-OS-standarddt.iso

released November 2020

SHASUM256 (KDE)

3bf4e7760db8ae40b927e287fcc804b8cb2d684cb50980dc0b847e6c8733546c

... but it is the most recent.

Cheers

Wizard

Last edited: