Hp Deskjet 1512 Printer failed-"The cups daemon isn't running." Quote from answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/690174

jjconstr

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all, SOLVED! The dependencies weren't fixed in Ubuntu. Installed Linux Mint Mate instead. Problems came up where it wouldn't boot. Could use it from USB drive (withoout persistance). But it allowed further research on what was wrong. Boot repair failed to help. What finally worked was to delete the linux partition sda5. Then reinstall Mint. This post comes via Linux Mint, though Timeshift snapshot has not been successful.
Thank you all for you time and help. You've taught me a lot. Can't say I learned everything you tried to teach me. But I've come a long way, in my opinion, whatever that's worth. :rolleyes:
I appreciate you.
jjconstr

Printer failed after updating. Dont know if it was the cause. Hoped for a Ubuntu

update/fix. May be a couple weeks now. Been to Hp and back. Not able to fix. I

loaded Synaptics Package Manager to do some cleaning and slimming. Decided to

see what Hp and cups searches came up with. Lots of them have updates available

even though updates have been done in the last couple days. There is a package

named printer-driver-hpcups,version 3.17.10. This is my installed package. With

hpcups in name, wont it install cups and correct my "cups daemon not running"? It

appears it is supported by Ubuntu.

Im very pleased with you guys hanging with me while I try to get up to speed. I was

hoping my Settings Package would remain when I installed Synaptics Package

Manager, but no. Now how do I change my password?

G'nite

Last edited:

Manager, but no. Now how do I change my password?

G'nite
[/QUOTE
Printer is working. Here is the output resulting from commands given me by answers.launchpad.net.

Also, had to install printer-driver-hpcups from Synaptics Package Manager

OUTPUT FROM SECOND PRINTER FAIL

jjconstr@Aspire-5733Z:~$ sudo cp /usr/share/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

[sudo] password for jjconstr:

jjconstr@Aspire-5733Z:~$ systemctl start cups

jjconstr@Aspire-5733Z:~$ systemctl status cups

● cups.service - CUPS Scheduler

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor preset: ena

Active: active (running) since Mon 2020-04-27 01:34:14 PDT; 17min ago

Docs: man:cupsd(8)

Main PID: 6604 (cupsd)

Tasks: 3 (limit: 4275)

CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service

├─6604 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l

├─6623 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://

└─6624 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://

Apr 27 01:34:14 Aspire-5733Z systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.

lines 1-12/12 (END)

This printer is still not working with Ubuntu 18.04. Works with Windows 7. No problem there. I downloaded hplip 3.18.3.run to replace/upgrade my hplp 3.17.10. Double clicking to run it, it opens in text editor, getit. There is a progress bar at the top, but I don't know if this is normal. But it fails to update the hplip.

Did you select the .deb or the .run to install. The .run file may not be marked as executable, so clicking on it may have been interpreted as an "edit" rather than a "run".

I selected .run. I'll try the .deb. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it very much.

I selected .run. I'll try the .deb. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it very much.
I downloaded the file to take a look at it. The file I downloaded is hplip-3.20.3.run which was downloaded from SourceForge but was the link provided by HP.
I noticed that the "execute" bit was not set in the 'permissions'.
You might check that and try again.

Couldn't find .deb. Here were my choices;

Thanks for your consideration.

jjconstr

I downloaded the file to take a look at it. The file I downloaded is hplip-3.20.3.run which was downloaded from SourceForge but was the link provided by HP.
I noticed that the "execute" bit was not set in the 'permissions'.
You might check that and try again.
Thanks, I'll look for those permissions and set execute. I'm understanding they would be in the sourceforge page.

Thanks, I'll look for those permissions and set execute. I'm understanding they would be in the sourceforge page.
The file 'permissions' pertain to the file on your computer. That is where you would set the permissions.
Most generally, an executable file you have downloaded will not be allowed to execute until you explicitly give it 'permission'.

Thanks, that is something to get used to. I'm confused as to where applications are in Ubuntu. I get messages when selecting documents to open, asking what app should be used. I don't know where to find them to select them.

I get messages when selecting documents to open, asking what app should be used. I don't know where to find them to select them.
Ugh...'Ubuntu'.
In the bottom left-hand corner is an icon which will open the list of apps - in the form of pages of icons. You can see what applications are available from there. Or you can type in the search bar to try to find one. This link may help:
Oops... I probably should have asked which desktop environment you are using.

hplip and hplip-gui are in the repos. You should be able to find it in Software Manager and install from there. I've tried the .run file from HP and it works, but the repo version is simply easier.

Regardless of the source, you will want to run hp-check after the install. It will list any unmet or missed files. Those can be installed manually. I've done it a dozen times, and usually install within a terminal using
Code:
sudo apt install <whatever file name shows up from hp-check>

G'day JJ and all :)

JJ, what does, in Terminal,

Code:
apt-cache policy hplip

show?

Was the printer working before you tried updating the driver, or were you trying to update the driver because the printer was not working?

Wiz

Did you try --

service <servicename> stop

service <servicename> start

service <servicename> restart

in this case,
Code:
service cups start
?

Confirm cups is running.if you still have the .run file try this.from a terminal navigate to where it is let's say Downloads
cd Downloads

Sudo chmod a+x hlip-file-name.run
Sudo ./hlip-file-name.run

a simple way to see if cups is working is to use your web browser; in the address bar at top type in :

if cups is up it will show a menu about printer

you might also try from a terminal:
sudo service cups status
Yep -- that's the way to do it.

Ugh...'Ubuntu'.
In the bottom left-hand corner is an icon which will open the list of apps - in the form of pages of icons. You can see what applications are available from there. Or you can type in the search bar to try to find one. This link may help:
Oops... I probably should have asked which desktop environment you are using.
My distro is ubuntu 18.04. I was thinking the ap needed to be selected within the file manager. Still thinking Windows. I hate to complicate the issue further, but I deleted document viewer, not realizing it was my only PDF viewer. Reinstalling from Synaptics Package Manager, the doc viewer failed to work at all.

My distro is ubuntu 18.04. I was thinking the ap needed to be selected within the file manager. Still thinking Windows. I hate to complicate the issue further, but I deleted document viewer, not realizing it was my only PDF viewer. Reinstalling from Synaptics Package Manager, the doc viewer failed to work at all.
Which "flavour" or desktop environment are you using?
The stock Gnome 3 or one of these?

Members online

Latest posts