Hp Deskjet 1512 Printer failed-"The cups daemon isn't running." Quote from answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/690174

Good advice, it worked, the checksums agreed.

Now I upgraded Etcher, installed Mint Mate in usb stick. But funny thing. The usb stick is 16 GB, printed right on the side of it, but the properties (in Win 7) said 6]

GB. Now that Etcher has installed to the usb stick, properties says 2.5 MB capacity, 14 kilobytes free! Etcher installed a folder named Efi. subfolder boot, with two files inside; bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi. Does that sound right?

Sounds strange to me, but I only have experienced loading Ubuntu once.

jjconstr
When you use a USB thumb drive to make an installation 'image' from an .iso file - even though the .iso may use up only a couple gigabytes of space the balance of the space becomes 'unavailable'.
There are operations, partitioning, persistence, etc. which will enable the use of the rest of the drive space but I usually just "let-'er-rip" and put one .iso on a drive.

The usb stick is 16 GB, printed right on the side of it, but the properties (in Win 7) said 6 GB.
That sounds to me like the stick has some of the space partitioned as a Linux file system (e.g. ext4).
Windows is rather a 'snob' in that regard and refuses to recognize Linux file systems.

Etcher installed a folder named Efi. subfolder boot, with two files inside; bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi. Does that sound right?
Sounds about right. But I am no 'expert'. Some others may want to weigh in.

If you can look at the USB stick from within Linux you may get a better, more reasonable assessment of just what is going on with it.

When a burner program such as Etcher or even dd writes an iso to a USB drive the only space that shows for the drive is what's been written to the USB, regardless of the original size. The burner does a bit for bit copy of the iso which means the only thing that exists on the USB drive is the burned image - nothing else. That's why it takes some extra coding to create an image WITH persistence (extra storage space).

If you wipe the image from the USB drive, it magically returns to 16GB or 8GB or 32GB or etc. All an OS can "see" is the space the image takes up. The remainder isn't gone, it just isn't visible.

And somehow, this thread has magically gone from a printer problem to a how to on burning iso images to USB. Just sayin' :eek:

When you use a USB thumb drive to make an installation 'image' from an .iso file - even though the .iso may use up only a couple gigabytes of space the balance of the space becomes 'unavailable'.
There are operations, partitioning, persistence, etc. which will enable the use of the rest of the drive space but I usually just "let-'er-rip" and put one .iso on a drive.

That sounds to me like the stick has some of the space partitioned as a Linux file system (e.g. ext4).
Windows is rather a 'snob' in that regard and refuses to recognize Linux file systems.

Sounds about right. But I am no 'expert'. Some others may want to weigh in.

If you can look at the USB stick from within Linux you may get a better, more reasonable assessment of just what is going on with it.
Thanks Vrai, It did show content from Linux. I tried formatting to remove Ubuntu two or three times, which was reported successful each time. But the stick was still unusable. Is it as good as dead? I bought a couple new ones now.

bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi are boot up files to do with uefi and live Linux OS; if you boot from a live Linux os you can still attach another usb and look at 2nd usb from the live OS on first usb if that makes sense

Thanks Vrai, It did show content from Linux. I tried formatting to remove Ubuntu two or three times, which was reported successful each time. But the stick was still unusable. Is it as good as dead? I bought a couple new ones now.
Take a look at the USB in question with a Linux OS with Gparted.
If you want to erase the entire drive 'unmount' it and then use Gparted to delete any and all partitions on the drive.
Then use Gparted to format the USB.
I have noticed that sometimes a particular image or image flashing software application will create an additional partition which is mounted at first and precludes working on the rest of the partitions unless specific steps are taken.

Also, but this takes a while:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd<whatever> status=progress

Be very careful with the "whatever", be certain it's the USB drive and not / or /home.

That overwrites every bit with zeroes, including the partition table, every partition structure, and data.

Then you can format it to fat32, exfat, or your choice.

Be aware that with the above process, and a 16 GB stick, that process can take a very long time, several hours, even, however it is thorough.

If you use it, I would be disabling screensavers and power-saving features to let it run uninterrupted, and if I do it, I usually let it run overnight.

Cheers

Wiz

Take a look at the USB in question with a Linux OS with Gparted.
If you want to erase the entire drive 'unmount' it and then use Gparted to delete any and all partitions on the drive.
Then use Gparted to format the USB.
I have noticed that sometimes a particular image or image flashing software application will create an additional partition which is mounted at first and precludes working on the rest of the partitions unless specific steps are taken.
Thanks, glad I didn't throw it away. Thought about it.

bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi are boot up files to do with uefi and live Linux OS; if you boot from a live Linux os you can still attach another usb and look at 2nd usb from the live OS on first usb if that makes sense
Am sure it makes sense but it will take some thinking to absorb it.
thank you

Which "flavour" or desktop environment are you using?
The stock Gnome 3 or one of these?
Vrai,
Sorry if I missed seeing this post. The flavour was Bionic Beaver. Thanks for your help. My original post is marked Solved, with some explanation

Jerry, just an FYI - if you are 'Bionic Beaver' that is just a codename for the distribution Ubuntu 18.04.

If it is the "desktop" version, which can be told by the .iso you downloaded to install it, it is a GNOME desktop, as opposed to the ones linked by @Vrai .

Fore more of an understanding of DEs (desktop environments) you can read here

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

That article is a few years old, but still mostly relevant.

In Ubuntu's case, their Xubuntu has a mostly Xfce DE, Lubuntu was LXDE, but now LXQt, Budgie ... Budgie, MATE MATE, Kubuntu KDE, and Kylin for Chinese users.

You are likely on GNOME unless your .iso said otherwise.

Cheers

Wizard

Jerry, just an FYI - if you are 'Bionic Beaver' that is just a codename for the distribution Ubuntu 18.04.

If it is the "desktop" version, which can be told by the .iso you downloaded to install it, it is a GNOME desktop, as opposed to the ones linked by @Vrai .

Fore more of an understanding of DEs (desktop environments) you can read here

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

That article is a few years old, but still mostly relevant.

In Ubuntu's case, their Xubuntu has a mostly Xfce DE, Lubuntu was LXDE, but now LXQt, Budgie ... Budgie, MATE MATE, Kubuntu KDE, and Kylin for Chinese users.

You are likely on GNOME unless your .iso said otherwise.

Cheers

Wizard
Wiz,
Very interesting. Am glad you brought that up. I had no idea. So, DE can be switched out easily?

The XL app icons on Ubuntu 18.04 did not appeal to me. There didn't seem to be a way to customize them. I am used to scanning in a column, not horizontal rows. Windows control panel had those rows that bugged me.

So far, Mate DE seems much like Windows, which makes transitioning easier. Feels like home.

So, my takeaway is that DE's can be interchanged without switching iso's? And there are many with many different features and resource diets? I have and older dell I was thinking of putting linux on.

That's great. I've bookmarked that article for that time.

Thanks for sharing Wiz!

jjconstr

Always welcome, Jerry :)

Save these tired hands thumbing through to see if we have you "learned up" on posting screenshots yet?

1. If Yes, post us a couple of screenies of what you are describing and don't like

2. If No, have a read of my Tute here

https://linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

... and yes, the sound is crap :), or an even easier method is to use the Attachments feature at the bottom left of your forum reply pane to post up screenies and text files. If using it for a screenshot, when it comes time, choose fullsize over thumbnail and we get the full picture without having to click.

BTW - do the above in a new Thread with an appropriate title, in, probably Desktop/X is best.

Wizard out to pig out at dinner

Cheers

Always welcome, Jerry :)

Save these tired hands thumbing through to see if we have you "learned up" on posting screenshots yet?

1. If Yes, post us a couple of screenies of what you are describing and don't like

2. If No, have a read of my Tute here

https://linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

... and yes, the sound is crap :), or an even easier method is to use the Attachments feature at the bottom left of your forum reply pane to post up screenies and text files. If using it for a screenshot, when it comes time, choose fullsize over thumbnail and we get the full picture without having to click.

BTW - do the above in a new Thread with an appropriate title, in, probably Desktop/X is best.

Wizard out to pig out at dinner

Cheers

Staff online