HP Dev One: HP laptop with Pop_OS! preinstalled.

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)
While checking my feed, I bumped into a post that led me here: https://hpdevone.com/
An excerpt:
Get ready for a laptop that’s customized for the way you code. Featuring preinstalled Pop!_OS Linux and a tuned Linux keyboard with a Super key, HP Dev One was designed with developers in mind.
  • Do more with the software you love: Pop!_OS preinstalled
  • Multi-task like a pro with the 8-Core AMD Ryzen™ 7 PRO processor¹
  • Run multiple apps in parallel with 16GB memory DDR4 @ 3200MHz
  • Master your files with 1TB fast PCIe NVMe M.2 storage²
  • See code clearly on a 14" diagonal FHD anti-glare display
  • Experience stellar graphic performance with AMD Radeon™ Graphics

Thought it isn't intended to be a "general purpose" laptop, this is great news for Linux! As more and more hardware/software vendors are starting to make, create, support and sell Linux devices/software! :)

Good news but not HP, they don't want you to open your laptop, if you do fragile things break, fragile cables disengage and you can't put them back etc.

Just opened my H.P laptop to change the battery ; luckily just had screws holding top section to bottom section.

I have 2 HP laptops and Ι have opened them both, the one has broken hinges now because the bases broke when I opened it, my other HP laptop I never manage to put it back together it's still open

I have 2 HP laptops and Ι have opened them both, the one has broken hinges now because the bases broke when I opened it, my other HP laptop I never manage to put it back together it's still open
We have 3 HP laptops here; 1 doesn't work anymore, I removed the HHD and RAM sticks. The other 2 I've opened, however, didn't mess too much with them, just changed HDD and RAM. Thought, I've only owned HP ones, IMO, laptops aren't meant to fiddle around their internals the same way we do in a desktop, and I don't think it really matters the brand.

I have a HP laptop, the screen flickered from new, thankfully
the screen failed to light up at all after about three weeks, I
never open and close laptops so not wear, it was fixed under
warranty, I goggled the issue, it is very common on Pavilion
modesl, I seen one for sale locally, good spec, same issue as
mine, out of warranty, would be very weary of buying a HP
laptop, I also see dozens and dozens of refurbed ones, no wonder.

They are cheap, and they seem to be getting less well built as
time goes by, I have older HP laptop, much better built back in
the day.
Lenove Ideapad 5 is another crock, broken screen hinges seems
to be their downfall.
Apple seem to be sticking with good build quality.
But nothing now is built to last.

My level of trust in big general computing companies like HP, Dell, etc. doesn't extend to allowing them to dictate the OS that gets installed. When I get a new machine, I want to install my own, and not wonder if it has bloat or hidden telemetry/spyware.

I have multiple laptops, including HP and Lenovo, and have never had a problem opening them. Just takes finesse and patience. Don't force pieces apart, and be careful where you stick your screwdrivers. I find that more and more, laptops are becoming snapped together plastic, and not so many screws.

My level of trust in big general computing companies like HP, Dell, etc. doesn't extend to allowing them to dictate the OS that gets installed. When I get a new machine, I want to install my own, and not wonder if it has bloat or hidden telemetry/spyware.

I have multiple laptops, including HP and Lenovo, and have never had a problem opening them. Just takes finesse and patience. Don't force pieces apart, and be careful where you stick your screwdrivers. I find that more and more, laptops are becoming snaI pped together plastic, and not so many screws.
Any failures in the Laptops I have owned came with them.
No sticking screwdrivers anywhere near them.
I even use short extensions from the ports so they do not get abused
plugging in and out usb sticks, even power brick.

Staff online