HP laptop running Windows 10, Ubuntu and Mageia. No Grub. Must select F9 to get selection

Is there a Linux flavor/distro that can be run from a flash drive that will save settings, documents, and other information so the next time it is booted live the settings like wifi password doesn't have to be reentered each time?
yep from memory slackware live does that for wifi settings; the most important to me is that software can be installed with persistence, so its still there after powering down and doing a cold boot. If you look at ventoy thread also got persistence working with latest 64 kali. Not sure if it remembered wifi password- will have to let you know next time i boot it up

That's really good news that Slackware keeps the wifi settings with a Live USB.
Thanks captain-sensible.

well recently installed inxi onto slackware live (64 bit) and so can use OS on usb as portable tool to bring up hardware info from 64 bit pc's its attached to !

Have 2 HP's now one is a dedicated MX Linux only. The older has Win 8.1 and Mint. I have found playing with HP just turn on, hold del key, and you will get the boot menu. You should have the option of Linux or Win OS Boot manager. My Mint one has not seen Win run in a few years. Just Built a New Desktop ASUS with an M.2 PCIE drive. Win 10 installed, Linux would not install with it connected. Disconnected the M.2 installed Mint so far on an SSD reinstalled the M.2 turn on, Now I have a Boot menu. Linux first, Win10 second. I choose. The Problem with MX and Peppermint and Mint during this Mint was the only one that started, but it kept saying no space on bootable even though it saw the M.2.

Using the Boot menu in HP seems to bypass any issues.

Unless the distro is installed to the HDD you'll have to enter the wifi password and etc with a Live USB.

Not so, I'm afraid Alex. Any Debian-based Linux Distro that has Persistence enabled on a Live CD/USB will allow for remembering wifi connection settings including password.

That being said, #39 onwards contains material that is off topic here, but warrants a new Thread, where I can explain more.

@shadrach I can start a new Thread for you with you as the author and the last couple of posts above included.

Just let me know here that you wish to do so and I will wave my magic wand.

Wizard

Not so, I'm afraid Alex. Any Debian-based Linux Distro that has Persistence enabled on a Live CD/USB will allow for remembering wifi connection settings including password.

That being said, #39 onwards contains material that is off topic here, but warrants a new Thread, where I can explain more.

@shadrach I can start a new Thread for you with you as the author and the last couple of posts above included.

Just let me know here that you wish to do so and I will wave my magic wand.

Wizard

Thanks for the good news!

Always welcome, my friend.

Members online