HP Laptops

Vrai

Reaction score
Credits
It is with some interest I have been following this thread:

Especially when the OP mentioned the BIOS issues and problems and HP recommending a system board replacement.

My little granddaughter received a HP Stream laptop for her birthday a little over a year ago. After only a couple months of use she asked me (the resident family Geek) to fix it. When I tried to boot it I received a 'No Boot Device Found" error. Not good. It has a 64 Gig solid state NVMe drive soldered onto the motherboard I believe. Windows 10-S of course :(

Whereas this machine was still under warranty I called HP Support. After several hours on the phone with them having me try this and try that HP finally gave up and had me send it back for a motherboard replacement! O.K.

We got the laptop back and it worked fine for several months then the SAME error reappeared! What the heck!
I call HP support again, go through the same rigamarole, they issue another RMA.

Well, I figured at this point I have nothing to lose, let's try some stuff.
I ended up wiping the drive, installing Windows 10 Home - NOT 10-S - and the laptop has been working fine ever since. It's been about 6 months and running with no errors.

There is a cautionary tale in here somewhere :)

My little granddaughter received a HP Stream laptop for her birthday a little over a year ago. After only a couple months of use she asked me (the resident family Geek) to fix it. When I tried to boot it I received a 'No Boot Device Found" error. Not good. It has a 64 Gig solid state NVMe drive soldered onto the motherboard I believe. Windows 10-S of course :(

There is a cautionary tale in here somewhere :)
OK here is my take on what I think could be part of the issue.

Laptops are notorious at running hot and have poor airflow for the obvious reasons not to mention all of the electronics crammed together inside of a tight compartment.

The components however usually have a higher operating temperature although not always the case.

SSD drives and NVMe drives run hot and actually need a bit of air flow to maintain a somewhat acceptable operating temperature.

All of the SSD drives I use all are mounted to a 3.5 bay know as an icy dock where I can mount a cooling fan to the underside to maintain a very cool operating temperature.

I know people who use NVMe drives in their desktops and have retro fitted a small fan to blow air across the NVMe drive to keep it cool.

My point being that the SSD drives / NVMe drives whatever the type run hot and if proper cooling for them is not maintained properly the life expectancy of the drive is short lived.

My 2 cents worth.

Hmmm.I run a sata SSD in my oldish laptop,and the only time the fan runs is when I hold the computer on my lap instead of a table(or a board on my lap).However if you truly have a heat issue,using 4 erasers under the laptop to get more clearance will help.I also notice that this laptop runs a little cooler since I switched from Ubuntu 18.04 to Mint 18.3.I also wonder if a brand new laptop with a factory installed SSD even has a fan.

Members online

Latest posts