Hyper-V Virtualization

Ray603

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I am new to Linux and trying to create a Kali Linux Virtual Machine but when I try to create it Oracle only gives me 32 bit option even thought my computer is 64 bit. I tried downloading "Remote Server Administration Tool" but I am currently running Windows 10 Home Single Languague which doesnt allow Hyper V Virtualization. I been trying to install Windows 10 Pro to no sucess. Is there a way around this?
PS. My computer does have Hyper V Virtualization feature.

Thanks,

Welcome to the group. Is your Windows:eek: installation 32 bit? I'm not a Windows user, but it would seem like that would be an issue. What do you think Wiz?

On another note, you said that you are new to Linux. If so, you might consider another version, as Kali is a bit advanced. It is designed for penetration testing, etc, not everyday use. You might be better off trying something like Mint Cinnamon to get your feet wet. It is much more newbie-friendly. Just my two cents worth.

Happy Trails
Paul

Last edited:
Is your Windows:eek: installation 32 bit?

That's exactly what I was thinking too. The host system should be 64-bits... I don't think Win Pro will help if still 32-bit.

Cheers

Someone mention my name?

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over spaghetti from someone's computer, rushes to his Wizardpedia books to look up what the frickin' hell is Hyper Virtualization)

Hi Paul, Hi Stan.

Welcome to linux.org @Ray603 , hope you enjoy your journeys with us :)

I don't use Windozey, just Linux. About 80 of 'em.

Ray, I am inclined to agree about the Kali side of things, but that is your choice. Also I am only just getting into Virtualbox, so no expert there. However it does feature the option to choose a .iso from your Downloads or wherever folder to install, rather than stock-standard servings of Distros from within its libraries.

Provided you establish that your CPU definitely supports 64-bit, you should be able to download a 64-bit Kali and install it on VB. I would recommend v5.2 or better of VB, because 5 and 5.1 were buggy, and 5.2 supports guest-additions better.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

And, always liking to admit when I'm wrong (which is frequent)... I've learned that a 64-bit virtual guest can indeed be installed on a 32-bit host in VirtualBox (though a 64-bit host is still easier). But there are limitations! Here's the description in the VirtualBox Manual. Since I'm not a VirtualBox expert, I'm not quite sure what all the manual is talking about either, but maybe it will help you.

Cheers

And, always liking to admit when I'm wrong (which is frequent)... I've learned that a 64-bit virtual guest can indeed be installed on a 32-bit host in VirtualBox (though a 64-bit host is still easier). But there are limitations! Here's the description in the VirtualBox Manual. Since I'm not a VirtualBox expert, I'm not quite sure what all the manual is talking about either, but maybe it will help you.

Cheers
OK, I guess that answers my question. I was also incorrect. :oops:o_O

You will get that issue with 64bit not showing up if you didnt enable virtualization in your bios.

You can tell if you windows 10 is 64bit if you have a folder called program files (x86)
Also if you are going to run virtual box dont install the hyperv feature it can cause virtual box to not function correctly.