I accidentally deleted grub and Linux partitions

Jackhelpme

Reaction score
Credits
I have a serious problem. I dual booted kali Linux and windows 10, but never really used kali. I decided to free up some space, and looked up how to delete the dual boot. I deleted the kali partition, as well as the grub boot loader partition. When I start my computer, I go to grub recovery. None of the ways that I have looked up can fix my default windows boot when attempting to repair it. Can somebody please help me?

G'day Jackhelpme, and Welcome to Linux.org

Do you have a backup ?....if so, use that.

otherwise....

1. Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB)
  2. At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer
  3. Choose Troubleshoot
  4. Choose Command Prompt
  5. When the Command Prompt loads, type the following commands:
    bootrec /FixMbr
    bootrec /FixBoot
    bootrec /ScanOs
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

When I type in the first command, I get an input output error. This is one of the solutions I found last night.

I am going to reinstall a dual boot of Linux to repair the grub boot loader

G'day @Jackhelpme and welcome to linux.org, another Aussie here :)

If you have a memory of, or details regarding that input output error following Brian's suggestions, let us know and we can take a look at it.

Also, if Kali was your first try at Linux, if you do not need it, I would try a more user-friendly Distro such as Linux Mint (any desktop environment - DE) or Ubuntu MATE. Kali is something that should not be attempted by a beginner, but that is your call, of course.

Cheers and good luck :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

You did not say if you have the original installation CD

Do you have data/pics/music etc etc that you must save on the windows install ??

If you do....a usb stick loaded with a Linux os (not kali)......would give you the opportunity to save the data etc on the windows install to an external hard drive .

If you dont have any data worth saving then you can simply wipe the current windows install by downloading win 10 to a usb stick and reinstalling.

Ditto to the above.

A Linux Live USB stick with eg Ubuntu or Linux Mint on it will provide access to the GNOME Partition Editor GParted, or the GNOME Disk Management (Disks) facility, which can tell you space consumed by Windows.

If, for example, you have allocated 200GB for Windows, about 5GB of that will be a formatting overhead, a standard Windows install is about 40GB, so if say 130GB is remaining space, then you have 25GB additional data you want to rescue, and would need a 32GB stick to do so.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

Wizard

Members online