I am getting reacquainted with Linux.

Geezer56

Reaction score
Credits
I am getting reacquainted with Linux. I had a dual boot system about 20 years ago but it crashed and burned. I have downloaded a USB Boot Mint version. I am looking for information on dual boot and reading fat files.
I am looking for a good tutorial. I am being forced to retire so I may have some time on my hands to tackle this. Please point me in the correct direction.

Welcome @Geezer56 to Linux.org forums.

Perhaps these will help.

i think you will find its easier than it used to be probably most install route now is via pitting a linux .iso in "appropriate way" onto a usb stick and booting from it. If you have a few candidates and want to try them one by one from the same usb stick which is say 16 gig then you can format the usb stick with ventoy https://ventoy.net/en/index.html there are scripts for use on Windows machine and from a Linux machine. Once formatted you just drag and drop "intact" linix .iso onto to stick like a normal usb. You will see the difference if you then shut down , boot hit f key and choose usb or might might called usb hard drive

ps another geezer on here @70 Tango Charlie swears by Mint

G'day Geezer, Welcome to Linux.org

I copied this from somewhere or other.....hopefully it will provide some insight for you.

Just use it to get an idea of the steps in the process

Dual Boot **Windows with Linux.**...( I have used deepin as the example, but it makes no difference .....it is the procedure/order that matters.

//Go into your BIOS (if you haven't already) and set your machine to boot to the usb with Windows on it //**first.**// Then install Windows.//

//Once you have Windows installed go into "Disk Management" and shrink your partition in 1/2 to make room for your Linux Deepin installation.//

//Use Rufus to make the usb for Deepin bootable.//
//Then boot into the usb with Linux Deepin and run the installer. This is done in BIOS again.//

//During the installation when the partition manager pop's up use the //**unallocated**// space to create partitions for your Deepin install.//

//Create one ext 4 / partition and give it a / flag.//
//Than create a 1 to 2 GB swap partition and finish the installation.//

//On the fresh reboot let Deepin boot up and wait till the desktop is up and running than launch the terminal and run this command://

sudo update-grub

//The next time you boot Grub should give you the choice of booting into Windows or Linux.//

Members online