i am using windows 10 pro but need to switch to linux which version is best in linux compared to windows

vishnudas

Reaction score
Credits
i am using windows 10 pro but need to switch to linux which version is best in linux compared to linux
my lap top has been upgraded to 1TB hard drive memory is booster so which linux version is best compared to windows 10

Linux is Linux. Windows is Windows. Linux is not Windows. Windows is not Linux.

Linux can be made to LOOK like Windows, but at the end of the day it is still Linux and does not fully act like Windows.

Try: Linux Mint, Linux Lite and Lubuntu.

You can try different distros of Linux ONLINE at: https://distrotest.net/

In Linux, new changes like upgrading of components, modifications, configuring the components are really easy without creating any problems with existing components. The terminology of Linux consists of a bootloader, Init-program, Kernel, system library, system utility.

Linux has a wide range of distributions, that is:
1.Ubuntu Linux
2. Linux Mint
3.Arch Linux
4. Deepin
5.Fedora
6. Debian
7.Opens Use.
Each distribution is different and has different interfaces to each other. One can choose distribution depending upon their requirements.

I personally did a switch out completely from MacBook Air to ZorinOS. I also use Windows 10. I definitely recommend using ZorinOS as it closely resembles Windows. Most of the components/drivers are already installed so it should be a breeze. Both ZorinOS and Windows 10 are my daily drivers.

so which linux version is best compared to windows 10
That's a bit of an ambiguous question - especially for a Linux user. I will assume you mean which Linux version looks and behaves the most like Windows 10 or would be the most familiar?
As @arochester said "Linux is not Windows" (and versa-vice).
But - that being said - as @HaxNet said Zorin OS has had a reputation for being "Windows like". Recently I have been hearing people say that "MakuluLinux LinDoz" in a very comfortable transition for Windows users. Unfortunately I have not tried it myself. Guess I should take it for a test drive and 'kick the tires'. :)

Good distros to install if your new to linux

ubuntu
mint
elementary os
manjaro
Mx linux
zorin OS
pop os

your ant really go wrong with any of the above. they're all nice and straight forward installs.
I recommend one of the above then download also check out:

https://distrotest.net

this site lets you test different versions of linux out before you commit to an install

That's a bit of an ambiguous question - especially for a Linux user. I will assume you mean which Linux version looks and behaves the most like Windows 10 or would be the most familiar?
As @arochester said "Linux is not Windows" (and versa-vice).
But - that being said - as @HaxNet said Zorin OS has had a reputation for being "Windows like". Recently I have been hearing people say that "MakuluLinux LinDoz" in a very comfortable transition for Windows users. Unfortunately I have not tried it myself. Guess I should take it for a test drive and 'kick the tires'. :)

I might have to check LinDoz myself. Looks pretty promising for a long time window user

You won't find a Linux that IS Windows, you can find a Linux that has some presentation similarities to Windows. But don't fool yourself - they are different!

I use Windows every day at work. I use Kubuntu when I'm not there. There are some similarities in presentation, but that's just because there are accepted, or at least expected ways to present a GUI screen. Beyond that they are NOT the same.

And I'm so much more at home in front of my Kubuntu with it's really nice GUI presentation layer, it's really great software, and its very powerful command line. The combination of tools, strengths, and challenges make it exceptionally worthwhile to fire up the Kubuntu box at the end of the day.

Just dive straight in, head first, and without fear. You won't be disappointed.

g'day, Welcome

Save yourself some time and angst

install Linux mint....and then LEARN from it.

DO NOT FORGET....Linux is FREE so if you dont like one of them, you just wipe it and try another one....all you lose is a little bit of time

SO.....
take the path of least resistance....Linux Mint.....install it....try it....LEARN to navigate around it and through it and over it....THEN (and only then).....branch out with another distro if you still feel so inclined.

honestly, the distros now are so easy to use because of the drivers compatibility are pre-installed thanks to Ubuntu making it popular. I remember starting out when you had to learn how to type in every command and search the whole internet for wifi drivers that weren't even popular to use.

just go with a linux and play with it. Make the switch and you will see you can do it. I actually love using Linux now.

Recently I have been hearing people say that "MakuluLinux LinDoz" in a very comfortable transition for Windows users. Unfortunately I have not tried it myself. Guess I should take it for a test drive and 'kick the tires
I did try MakuluLinux, last year I think, and it looks pretty nice and even comes with clamAV installed by default, but didn't really liked it; it was kind of slow, at least in my set up, seems like it's a bit of a resource hog.

I did try MakuluLinux, last year I think, and it looks pretty nice and even comes with clamAV installed by default, but didn't really liked it; it was kind of slow, at least in my set up, seems like it's a bit of a resource hog.
Thanks for the info! :)

clamAV can be the cause of slowness, to some degree.

I have used Linux antivirus, but in general they are a waste of CPU cycles. Before someone starts throwing rocks, I would agree that there MAY be some good reasons for using a LINUX AV, but "MAY" and "some" are key.

well isn't the part of using a linux is well..you know what you are installing? i mean you have to literally enter your password when installing.

I found clam av worthy of being where clams generally hang out....under water.

beats me, brian ... never used an av in linux.

Years back in an unguarded moment of weakness, I indulged clam for around 10 minutes.....that was more than enough...... relegated it to the nearest puddle (toilet)

i am using windows 10 pro but need to switch to linux which version is best in linux compared to linux
my lap top has been upgraded to 1TB hard drive memory is booster so which linux version is best compared to windows 10

Depends on what you need it to do. Different distros focus on different things. Some focus on security/privacy, like TAILS and Kodachi. Some focus on being easy for beginners, like MX Linux and Linux Mint. Some focus on being like Windows to attract expats, such as Zorin, Chalet, etc. Some are geared towards multimedia, like AVLinux and Apodio. This may help: https://distrochooser.de/en

I have read Zorin is the closest looking and feeling to windows 7, which it seems is the closest to a windows 10 version you mentioned. As far as I've read it seems to be a great fit for Windows users to make an easier transition. Being overwhelmed out of the gate can turn new users away. There is plenty of time to get immersed later if you like the move.

Members online

Latest posts