I cant see my graphics card appear and I have very poor performance on CS:GO

vsn15_

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I recently build my very first computer, and everything was going fine untill I had some problems on windows and decided to switch to ubuntu.
I love ubuntu and I am not planning on ever going back but when I tried to play CS:GO I had terrible fps, which is not usual.
My specs are:
Ryzen 5 2600
Rx 5500 XT 4gb
16gb 3000mhz ram
B450 steel legend
550w psu from corsair
NZXT h500
240gb ssd (planning on upgrading or adding an additional hdd or ssd)
I now have 10 fps, while I used to have 300+. I looked up some tutorials on how to install drivers, but it just doesn't work. I then tried my luck with software & updates, to see if there might be additional drivers, but it says that there are none.
I tried to find if my system detects my graphics card, but I cant find a way to check this.
Does anyone know the reason why this occurs or know the solution?
I'm a rookie to ubuntu so yeah, I dont know anything.
Sorry in advance for writing errors, english isn't my native language.
Regards,
vsn15

I tried to find if my system detects my graphics card, but I cant find a way to check this.
From the Terminal run the "hardinfo" (with no quotes). Poke around a bit and see if that reveals anything.
Also could try "inxi --graphics".
I like "sudo lshw -html > lshw.html" . This will format the output in a nice .html file in your /Home folder which can be perused with your browser.
"sudo lshw -C display" may provide some useful information.
There is also "screenfetch" and/or "neofetch". Not as much information but interesting nonetheless (and pretty :) ). Can't recall if screenfetch is included in default apps. Had to get neofetch from Software Manager.
or "sudo inxi -zv7"
"fglrxinfo" might work for AMD/ATI graphics.
There's a few to get you started. I collect 'em in my spare time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I going to take a long-shot here and say the problem is that your Graphics card is to new.

Linux ain't the fastest for driver development with new hardware.

Driver support for ATI / AMD Graphics cards is the opensource driver which usually works well once it's developed and released for new hardware.

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command inxi -G and see what the output shows.

The output should look like this.

Code:
thomas@ASUS-M4A785-M:~$ inxi -G 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] driver: radeon v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1152x720~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS880 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.3.0-42-generic LLVM 9.0.0) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.2.8 
thomas@ASUS-M4A785-M:~$

I going to take a long-shot here and say the problem is that your Graphics card is to new.

Linux ain't the fastest for driver development with new hardware.

Driver support for ATI / AMD Graphics cards is the opensource driver which usually works well once it's developed and released for new hardware.

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command inxi -G and see what the output shows.

The output should look like this.

Code:
thomas@ASUS-M4A785-M:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] driver: radeon v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1152x720~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS880 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.3.0-42-generic LLVM 9.0.0) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.2.8
thomas@ASUS-M4A785-M:~$
Good point. See this;
AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Linux Performance

Members online