I have 5 days left to complete my new year's resolution of switching to Linux. How do I do it as smoothly as possible?

Reaction score
Credits
I have 3 things I need to do before it.

1. My school project. It takes place inside a native game but it's map editor is not native. I heard it can be run with Wine but I'm unsure of it's reliability.

1.5 Winrar. To use the game's editor I need Winrar because of the zip and store options. No other zip software for Linux works with it. I get corrupted map upon loading it.

2. Skyrim and modding it. Skyrim can be run but not all mods will work. That worries me because Skyrim is my favorite game and a type of game that once you try mods you realize how bad vanilla game is.

2.5 Mod Organizer 2. I heard it got full wine support in 4.21 but I still need to confirm that.

3. Toon Boom Harmony. An animation software. Some people claim it has a Linux version some don't. On their website it says Windows and MacOS. There is no alternative mainstream animation software for Linux.

If it fix all of that I can say goodbye to Windows.

Not all apps can be run in Linux, even with WINE. You may need to say good-bye to an app when you switch. There are many great Linux alternative apps to most of them though. I would suggest that you install Linux along side Windows on your hard drive and "dual boot". Then when you need, you can go back to Windows for this or that. I have Windows on my computer just so I can play 1 or 2 games that won't run on Linux, I play the game, then reboot back to Linux. With an SSD, booting into Linux takes 1 minute or less.

Not all apps can be run in Linux, even with WINE. You may need to say good-bye to an app when you switch. There are many great Linux alternative apps to most of them though. I would suggest that you install Linux along side Windows on your hard drive and "dual boot". Then when you need, you can go back to Windows for this or that. I have Windows on my computer just so I can play 1 or 2 games that won't run on Linux, I play the game, then reboot back to Linux. With an SSD, booting into Linux takes 1 minute or less.
I tried dual boot and ended up using Windows 75% of time.

Yes, it's easy to just stay there an not reboot back to Linux. You have to make it a priority. I installed Linux for the first time back in 2007. There were times where I was in Linux 75% of the time, and then there were a couple years where I just stayed in Windows all the time. 3 or 4 years ago I got fed up with Windows and all it's BS and decided to wipe Windows off the hard drive completely. I did that until I decided to buy Fallout 76. I don't have a PS4 or Xbox and wasn't going to go and buy one of those just for 1 game. So I decided to reinstall Windows. I played that till I got bored with it. I haven't booted into Windows for several months now and don't expect to any time soon.

winrar i believe is windows approach to "rar" compressed files. You can use linux to unrar rar files.

Members online

Latest posts