I have a program that only wants to run in windows....

NORD

Reaction score
Credits
DOS/Windows executable (application/x-ms-dos-executable)
It's a Snapon tools software for my Snapon OBD 2 scan tool. I'm not sure where to begin as i don't have Windows dual boot anymore.

found wine hope it works

time to go back to dual boot pooo....

G'day Tobey :)

Does it have to be Snapon?

I understand there is one by Autel that is based on Linux.

Wiz

G'day Tobey :)

Does it have to be Snapon?

I understand there is one by Autel that is based on Linux.

Wiz
Snap-On is the "Apple" of professional mechanic's tools. It will have to be Snap-On. I'd be leary of using Wine and trying to make it work in Linux too. If it runs and the comms work he's libel to 8-ball a multi-thousand dollar scanner. He needs to dual boot with Windoze.

Qualifier: I own Snap-On tools myself.

Yeah, I have an Ethos pro snapon scanner and I was trying to run the program to update my tool.
I ended up using my miserable windows 7 desktop. had to dust it off lol!

now I have to figure out the reverse install windows on a linux dual boot lol!

I think the only way to successfully dual boot with Windows is for Windows to be installed first, then modify the partitions and install Linux afterwards. Windows doesn't play nice with other OSes.

Yeah, windows is a pain in the ... I'm going to get a bigger hard drive before I install windows on this laptop.
I'm more familiar with manipulating windows than Linux so it would be easier for me.

Tobey, if you use Timeshift, you can take a full, on demand, snapshot of your Linux. Then blow away everything but the Timeshift partition, reinstall Win 7, carve back the space for a partition for your Linux, and use a Live Linux Mint USB stick to restore your Linux.

Sing out if you need help

Wizard

I'm looking for a good SSD laptop 1TB drive so I am never lacking any space between both systems. Lookin at a few options on newegg.com

I have been very happy with Samsung and OCZ SSD drives. I use them in my laptops and all of my desktops.

Samsung ssd here...approx 3 years....no hiccups

got virtual box to load windows but no wifi source

Assuming your wifi connection works on the host system, you can simply in virtualbox manager on the host, go to network configuration of your guest. On adaptor 1 tab, select bridge mode and on Name field, you select the wifi connection on your host. ... The wifi part will be managed by the host OS

ok so my Linux setup will not allow me to resize partition with Gparted is there another way?

G'day Tobey , to be sure, to be sure, to be sure (Saint Paddy's reference) :)

Is the issue above related to the Thread subject, ie VM and wifi issue, or separate? (if the latter, start a new Thread).

Short answer begs a question:

Are you trying to manipulate your root partition (that Linux system is on) with GParted?

If so, you cannot do it - safety feature, so you cannot screw with your running OS.

You can either set up a GParted Live USB stick, or if you still have your Install stick, you can use its GParted to effect changes on your root partition, outside its operating environment.

Wiz

Staff online