I have an installation of Windows on my PC and the windows updates overrides Linux.

XIII_siren

Reaction score
Credits
Every time when windows updates, It sometimes over rides the copy of Linux on my computer. I would like to know how to stop the auto update on windows, so that my Linux doesn't get overridden again.

Last edited:

G'day young fella, you're going to have to give a whole lot more information than that, and be a bit more polite, thank you.

Read this first and then come back with something better.

Learn how to ask a good support question.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

uhm, you know this is a linux forums and not a windows one and I doubt if you can permanently stop windows from screwing you over wiith auto-updates.....
Removing windows completely from the dual boot might be the only way

Disable the Windows Update startup service
In the Windows 10 search bar, type 'Services'. Right-click the top result and select 'Run as administrator'. Scroll down the list until you reach the Windows Update entry. If the 'Status' column says "Running", right-click the Windows Update entry and click 'Stop'.

Now, right-click it again and click 'Properties'. In the resulting menu, under 'Startup type', choose 'Disabled', then click 'OK'.

This will prevent Windows Update from automatically installing updates. If you still want to prevent automatic updates but want to give yourself the opportunity to install updates manually, select 'Manual' from the drop-down menu instead.

What error is showing when you cannot boot into Linux?
and which Linux are you using?
Does the error say something like - “dual boot screen not showing cant load linux help pls"

My guess is that the Windows update replaces the GRUB bootloader with the Windows bootloader. @XIII_siren, is this correct?

How is this a Linux problem, sounds more like a Windows problem?

How is this a Linux problem, sounds more like a Windows problem?
My thinking is the grub firmware file that’s on the EFI System Partition under the \EFI\ mount point in Windows using GPT partitioning. So if he didn’t install Grub to EFI instead of MBR then GRUB is not in the list of bootable firmware. Hence the grub may have been corrupted by an update since the grub was installed to the wrong place to begin with. - just a thought - but without more info from the poster it is just a guess.

Members online