I have Autism, and.....

My son is Autistic also, he is at the Asperger's end of the spectrum. The opening line of your thread is exactly why I am starting homeschooling next year.
BTW, I like your Profile Pic, good sir..... :3

People make fun of others with disabilities for many reasons, usually because they're different. Having Aspergers, I have been antagonized, sometimes because of my social inadequacy, other times because of my skills in the digital realm (Especially with Mac OS.) Many sources say that low self-esteem can contribute to bullying, and I think this is true, most people who bully me seem to be unsure of themselves.

I know quite a few people who are Autistic, and many of them have been called Savants. They're absolutely brilliant, putting the work of my teachers to shame! I'm somewhat similar to you, where I think of myself as around average but others think otherwise. You're not over-thinking it, Savants don't need to know a lot about their favorite thing, they just happen to be able to learn it quickly. (I never thought of Mozart as a Savant. Then again, I knew little about them until recently.)

Inventing an application or program like that will take a large amount of time, effort, and skill, but it can be done. I suggest forming a team, it'll increase the overall quality, speed, and efficiency of the application. (Try opening a Kickstarter account once you have the resources and the team, it'll be a good way to fund your project.)

Anyways, it's a good cause and I'd love to help. I don't have nearly enough skill right now, but in a few years, I'll be able to help out with more complex programs and applications.

Yeah, I know how that feels..... :( Also, do you mean Mac OS, as in OSX.....? :) But those kids are that smart?!..... o_O Wow..... :3 But you make a good point about Savants not being smart from birth..... :) I feel better already!..... :D But I agree with your point about bullying and insecurity..... :) Also, according to Wikipedia, some people posit that Mozart was indeed Autistic, or at least a "Neuro-deviant"..... :) Ok then..... :3 I'll look into that!..... :D Well then..... When you're ready good sir, hit me up!..... :3 Namaste!..... ^^

People make fun of others with disabilities for many reasons, usually because they're different. Having Aspergers, I have been antagonized, sometimes because of my social inadequacy, other times because of my skills in the digital realm (Especially with Mac OS.) Many sources say that low self-esteem can contribute to bullying, and I think this is true, most people who bully me seem to be unsure of themselves.

I know quite a few people who are Autistic, and many of them have been called Savants. They're absolutely brilliant, putting the work of my teachers to shame! I'm somewhat similar to you, where I think of myself as around average but others think otherwise. You're not over-thinking it, Savants don't need to know a lot about their favorite thing, they just happen to be able to learn it quickly. (I never thought of Mozart as a Savant. Then again, I knew little about them until recently.)

Inventing an application or program like that will take a large amount of time, effort, and skill, but it can be done. I suggest forming a team, it'll increase the overall quality, speed, and efficiency of the application. (Try opening a Kickstarter account once you have the resources and the team, it'll be a good way to fund your project.)

Anyways, it's a good cause and I'd love to help. I don't have nearly enough skill right now, but in a few years, I'll be able to help out with more complex programs and applications.
BTW, I like your Profile Pic, and your name..... :3

Yeah, I know how that feels..... :( Also, do you mean Mac OS, as in OSX.....? :) But those kids are that smart?!..... o_O Wow..... :3 But you make a good point about Savants not being smart from birth..... :) I feel better already!..... :D But I agree with your point about bullying and insecurity..... :) Also, according to Wikipedia, some people posit that Mozart was indeed Autistic, or at least a "Neuro-deviant"..... :) Ok then..... :3 I'll look into that!..... :D Well then..... When you're ready good sir, hit me up!..... :3 Namaste!..... ^^

BTW, I like your Profile Pic, and your name..... :3

Ah, I didn't specify, I'm decent with OS X but I'm best with OS 8 or 9. (Triple booting my Toshiba with Windows 7, Mac OS 9.2.2, and Ubuntu, hoping to add ShadowOS to that list once I finish.)

Yeah, many of them are insanely smart in certain areas. (Hoping one will teach me to play piano.) I read somewhere that Savant Syndrome is often caused by a neurodevelopmental disorder (often on the autism spectrum) or a brain injury, but is not considered a mental disorder.

Will do. Since both Mac and Linux are UNIX-based, it should (hopefully) be less of a challenge to learn.

Thanks! The person shown is actually JC Denton, from the Deus Ex video game series. I got the idea for the name from a friend I met through the Deus Ex community, he introduced me to the Shadowrun tabletop RPG.

Ah, I didn't specify, I'm decent with OS X but I'm best with OS 8 or 9. (Triple booting my Toshiba with Windows 7, Mac OS 9.2.2, and Ubuntu, hoping to add ShadowOS to that list once I finish.)

Yeah, many of them are insanely smart in certain areas. (Hoping one will teach me to play piano.) I read somewhere that Savant Syndrome is often caused by a neurodevelopmental disorder (often on the autism spectrum) or a brain injury, but is not considered a mental disorder.

Will do. Since both Mac and Linux are UNIX-based, it should (hopefully) be less of a challenge to learn.

Thanks! The person shown is actually JC Denton, from the Deus Ex video game series. I got the idea for the name from a friend I met through the Deus Ex community, he introduced me to the Shadowrun tabletop RPG.
Ah, ok..... :3 I thought so..... :) But TRIPLE booting.....?? o_O How do you do that without wearing out your HDD with those differently built OSes.....? :eek: Not to mention the face that Windows writes a LOT to the SSD or HDD that you possess..... :( Unless of course you use an SSD for this, which is much more resilient to that kind of setup..... :) But what's ShadowOS.....? Is it Open Source....? :3 I could do some beta testing 'n stuff....... :3 Actually, Linux is Unix-LIKE, but it's not Unix-based..... :) Though, as OSX's NEXTStep Kernel is a BSD-variant, it is, indeed, Unix-based..... :) But, Linux and Unix share a LOT of similarities (Unix even moved to BASH a while ago), then you should STILL find it easy to master those OSs..... :D Speaking of Piano, do you think they could teach the both of US.....? People always said I have long fingers, and that because of that, I should learn how to play the Piano....... :) Imagine, if you will, an alternate-Universe version of myself, who knows so LITTLE, even NOTHING of Programming or this GNU/Linux/FOSS stuff, yet he is ALSO great at Piano..... A GENIUS, even........ :) I wonder what an alternate YOU would look like....... Also, so THAT'S where you got your Username and Profile Pic from.... :) Funny, I didn't know he was that guy from Deus EX, as I thought he was Neo!..... :D

Ah, ok..... :3 I thought so..... :) But TRIPLE booting.....?? o_O How do you do that without wearing out your HDD with those differently built OSes.....? :eek: Not to mention the face that Windows writes a LOT to the SSD or HDD that you possess..... :( Unless of course you use an SSD for this, which is much more resilient to that kind of setup..... :) But what's ShadowOS.....? Is it Open Source....? :3 I could do some beta testing 'n stuff....... :3 Actually, Linux is Unix-LIKE, but it's not Unix-based..... :) Though, as OSX's NEXTStep Kernel is a BSD-variant, it is, indeed, Unix-based..... :) But, Linux and Unix share a LOT of similarities (Unix even moved to BASH a while ago), then you should STILL find it easy to master those OSs..... :D Speaking of Piano, do you think they could teach the both of US.....? People always said I have long fingers, and that because of that, I should learn how to play the Piano....... :) Imagine, if you will, an alternate-Universe version of myself, who knows so LITTLE, even NOTHING of Programming or this GNU/Linux/FOSS stuff, yet he is ALSO great at Piano..... A GENIUS, even........ :) I wonder what an alternate YOU would look like....... Also, so THAT'S where you got your Username and Profile Pic from.... :) Funny, I didn't know he was that guy from Deus EX, as I thought he was Neo!..... :D
Heh, triple booting pales in comparison to something my friend did. He was hepta booting his PC with Windows 98/Win8/Mac OS8/OSX/and three linux OS. I'm not sure how I managed to do it, my computer is old, and my HDD is small.
ShadowOS is the custom operating system I have planned. I'm about to start creating it now. I might make it open-source or available by request.
Ah, I thought it was completely based on UNIX. I should start checking my sources..
It's possible, and longer fingers will help reach the farther keys.
An alternate version of me that doesn't know much about computers.. That frightens me.
Heh, every time I see Neo, I see JC! I have played too much Deus Ex throughout my life.. (10,000+ hours.)

My son is Autistic also, he is at the Asperger's end of the spectrum. The opening line of your thread is exactly why I am starting homeschooling next year.
What is the Asperger's end of the spectrum? I am unfamiliar with that terminology. Aparently I still have much to learn:confused:.

What is the Asperger's end of the spectrum? I am unfamiliar with that terminology. Aparently I still have much to learn:confused:.
I'm fairly sure the Asperger's end of the spectrum is just the side of the "High functioning" forms of autism.

Heh, triple booting pales in comparison to something my friend did. He was hepta booting his PC with Windows 98/Win8/Mac OS8/OSX/and three linux OS. I'm not sure how I managed to do it, my computer is old, and my HDD is small.
ShadowOS is the custom operating system I have planned. I'm about to start creating it now. I might make it open-source or available by request.
Ah, I thought it was completely based on UNIX. I should start checking my sources..
It's possible, and longer fingers will help reach the farther keys.
An alternate version of me that doesn't know much about computers.. That frightens me.
Heh, every time I see Neo, I see JC! I have played too much Deus Ex throughout my life.. (10,000+ hours.)
Hepta-booting.....?!! :O Wow..... ._. Well then, if HIS Machine is any indication, you SHOULD be fine..... :D Well then, as for ShadowOS..... As much as I'm for FOSS, and as much as I encourage that model..... It would be kind of hypocritical for me to be against you doing what you want with it....... :) It also, ironically, likely goes against the FOSS Spirit, which IS about choice after all.... :) Do as you see fit, but, IF you see fit, I would LOVE to give that thing a test drive..... :) Will you make it available as an ISO.....? :) 'Cuz I don't know how to deal with other formats..... :( If it's an ISO, I can put in Virtual Box..... :3 I just hope it doesn't make my Chromebook with it's weak CPU lag..... :( I'm ALREADY running KDE on it..... :) And if I try it out on my Inspiron, the thing will overheat and CRASH....... :( Even MINECRAFT makes it hot.... :( Can you imagine what a potentially high-end OS would do.....? D: Ah, ok then!..... :) Maybe I SHOULD look up a Piano Teacher then..... :D I have this Music Store nearby..... :) I wonder if THEY teach Piano..... :) Well, it's based on UNIX, insomuch as being INSPIRED by it, but no, it's not UNIX..... :) Don't worry about it, though....... :) I thought it was UNIX TOO at one point I think..... :D Ah, so my thought SCARED you, eh..... :D Only from my Mind, could TRULY scary thing come..... >: D Wow, so you see it as the exact OPPOSITE...... :D Maybe they're long-lost TWINS...... ;) Also, you know Rude, from FFVII.....? He looks like JC as WELL..... It's the Beard and the Glasses, mostly..... :D

Latest posts