I have lost my samba directory

E

EiEiOhh

Been trying to set up folder sharing between 14.04 and Windows 7.

I have lost my /etc/samba directory.
Re-installing Samba brings back the directory but it is empty except for an empty /tls/ directory

Now samba will not run at all

How can I get samba running again?

Thanks

Been trying to set up folder sharing between 14.04 and Windows 7.

I have lost my /etc/samba directory.
Re-installing Samba brings back the directory but it is empty except for an empty /tls/ directory

Now samba will not run at all

How can I get samba running again?

Thanks
Restore from the current backup you of course have been making on a regular basis.

After you get everything running again, may I suggest using a version control systems such as git to backup and track your important configuration, and other files.

My back up. Yeah, about that. I'm still new to Ubuntu and have been focused on getting it up and running, I haven't done a back up.
Am I hosed?

My back up. Yeah, about that. I'm still new to Ubuntu and have been focused on getting it up and running, I haven't done a back up.
Am I hosed?
Yes!

How long have you been using computers, Windows, Mac, Linux, ...??? You have never backed up your important files???

Either a USB backup hard drive, or at least Git, and replicate the repository to another computer or hard drive, preferably off-site. A hard copy of the Samba config file is recommended as well.

Windows, for a while. But, I can't remember backing up system files. Only my files, docs, spreadsheets etc

Windows, for a while. But, I can't remember backing up system files. Only my files, docs, spreadsheets etc
It is worth backing up not only the data in your home directory, but many of the system files that would be hard to recreate, with Samba config files at the top of the list.

There are many web pages explaining how to use Git, rsync, etc... to do the backups. Some recommend backing up the whole /etc directory. I am not sure I agree with that.

Thanks. I'll look for them and start a backup practice.

In the mean time, without a backup, is there no way to rebuild my etc/samba directory?

Thanks. I'll look for them and start a backup practice.

In the mean time, without a backup, is there no way to rebuild my etc/samba directory?
If you have a "/usr/share/samba/smb.conf" file, copy it to /etc, edit the file, then back it up. I don't know what else you had in this directory.

Resolved

I was able to boot to a LIVE CD of Ubuntu and copy the samba directory to a thumbdrive. After rebooting into my installed Ubuntu, I copied the sama directory in to etc and SAmba loaded again.

Now, off to researching backups!

Thanks for your help

Resolved

I was able to boot to a LIVE CD of Ubuntu and copy the samba directory to a thumbdrive. After rebooting into my installed Ubuntu, I copied the sama directory in to etc and SAmba loaded again.

Now, off to researching backups!

Thanks for your help
Great! Glad to hear!

Members online

Latest posts