I have sound issues with fedora 37

john12

Reaction score
Credits
Hi boys I hope you are doing great, I recently bought a new laptop, with windows 11 preinstalled, I decided to install fedora, and everything works really well, but I have one issue, When I plug in my headphones they don´t even get recognized by the system although my headphones work on other devices, also when I restart the system in the volume bar says "dummy output" and I can´t hear anything with the laptop speakers until I completely power off my laptop, and then the laptop speakers work again, I don´t know if is a kernel issue, I am new in Linux but I could really appreciate some help.

HP Laptop 14-fq1xxx
6.0.12-300.fc37.x86_64
GNOME 43.2
AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Gra
AMD ATI 03:00.0 Lucienne
Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Editi

3:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller 03:00.5 Multimedia controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor (rev 01) 03:00.6 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h/19h HD Audio Controller

Screenshot from 2022-12-12 22-24-14.png

Last edited:

Which desktop?

1670903978399.png

Screenshot from 2022-12-13 09-54-50.png

Yeah is Gnome 43.2,and shows something like this, until I shut down the laptop and then I have the speakers working again.

Last edited:
Most likely Gnome 4.3 :)

In any case... In your setup screen above, when you click on the down-arrow triangle between Dummy Output and Test
Are there any other devices listed?

1670948032691.png

Last edited:

I have noticed that for whatever reason, Fedora, CentOS and AlmaLinux display their Gnome version like this.

1670948322487.png

However ...

1670948501924.png

The gnome-version file uses "Platform" instead of Major. So I don't think Gnome parses it correctly.

In any case... In your setup screen above, when you click on the down-arrow triangle between Dummy Output and Test

View attachment 14219

View attachment 14219
Thanks for answering ,no when I check that there's no other device listed only dummy output, and does the gnome problem has something to do with the fact that It can't detect my wired headset too?

Last edited:
Screenshot from 2022-12-13 11-48-58.png

This is the sound settings after shunting down the laptop,

When you click on "Test", do you get any sound from the speakers?

When you click on "Test", do you get any sound from the speakers?
yeah I get sound, but it is still not detecting my headset when I plug them only shows in the input devise the speakers

Last edited:
That is normal, Linux usually doesn't know the difference between regular speakers and a headset.
Having said that, I have seen some BIOS's/UEFI that let you disable one of the speaker jacks.

For example I have speakers jacks on the back and the front of my case. I normally have speakers plugged into the rear jack.
I have the front port disabled in my BIOS, so when I try to plug a headset or speakers into it, I get no sound output.

The thing is that
That is normal, Linux usually doesn't know the difference between regular speakers and a headset.
Having said that, I have seen some BIOS's/UEFI that let you disable one of the speaker jacks.

For example I have speakers jacks on the back and the front of my case. I normally have speakers plugged into the rear jack.
I have the front port disabled in my BIOS, so when I try to plug a headset or speakers into it, I get no sound output.
The thing is that my laptop only has one jack, and in the BIOS (the hp BIOS) I can´t get into the sound features, because the sound options are not there that's why I guess is a kernel bug or something that nature.

Members online