I need a pdf reader and firefox alternative for Ubuntu!

balenshah

Reaction score
Credits
Pdf reader should've these features:

1) Tabbed:
i.e it should be able to open multiple tabs in same window. Even when I select 10 files at once in a folder and press enter, all of them should open in same window.

2) Persistent:
ie it should remember last opened pdfs and last page. At the very least, remember the last pdfs opened.

Firefox does it, but Reading pdfs in firefox is somewhat not what I like to do.

Okular consumes too much memory and hangs the system (Dell inspiron i5 5567 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard disk). I've used it only once though, then uninstalled it as it caused hang.

I tried qpdfview, it was great except it didn't do 2)Persistent.

I've tried mupdf,zathura etc. They don't support any tabs.

I can't imagine how such a huge Operating System, can't have a single pdf reader that does these two things? IMO these aren't very complex softwares to build.

Firefox alternative should've these features:

1) Scrolling:
Scrolling should be smooth like in firefox. I tried imwheel, chrome extensions etc in Chromium and Chrome browsers, nothing worked. They are miserable browsers in linux.

2) Zooming:
Zooming should be possible by touchpad in laptop.

That's all I want and the sad thing is that I'm not even getting them. I'm really surprised (tbh not, when everything is free, this is bound to happen). It's real paining me.

I've tried Vivaldi as well. It's the same s*** as Chrome.

I'm in urgent situation, where I'm giving my exam in 1 week, all my studies come from laptop, so I can't even do anything else(try something crazy).

I've always liked Evince it works for me. And you can always open pdf's in Libre office also and modify them if you need to.
But then my requirements are quite simple compared to yours. Good luck wish the best on your exams.

Ubuntu repository has several PDF readers.
Yup came here since none worked which were recommended by askubuntu.com

I've always liked Evince it works for me. And you can always open pdf's in Libre office also and modify them if you need to.
But then my requirements are quite simple compared to yours. Good luck wish the best on your exams.
Yup I need multiple tabs in same windows. Otherwise it's alright!

You could try xpdf, it supports tabs although I don't think it remembers the last document(s) you opened because it's a pretty basic pdf reader.

You could try xpdf, it supports tabs although I don't think it remembers the last document(s) you opened because it's a pretty basic pdf reader.
Ok I'll try it. Is there some tweak possible about it? I'd love if qpdfviewer allowed some tweaks. It's the best pdf reader I ever had. But it doesn't persist.

Ok I'll try it. Is there some tweak possible about it? I'd love if qpdfviewer allowed some tweaks. It's the best pdf reader I ever had. But it doesn't persist.
Not that I am aware because it doesn't even have a preferences menu to enabe/disable settings but as I said it's basic. I currently use Okular since that's the default of KDE Plasma which I am using as my DE right now. When I have 5 pdf documents open it uses 490M of memory and when I have those same 5 documents open in xpdf it uses 125M, however I have more than enough memory in my system so 490M is still peanuts.

I have not used it, but the BRAVE browser is based on Firefox and is gaining in popularity, it can be found in the Ubuntu repository, give it a try

calibre, koreader, and Yes Okular it work on my raspberry pi400 with only 4gb of ram. I use the flatpak.
Nothing better than Firefox.

Pdf reader should've these features:
Okular has all of that, and then some. I use it even on Windows :)

I use Master PDF Editor 5 and brave-browser -- happy with both
Vivaldi is not a bad browser, either. I user it when brave acts up on a site
Hi, I am trying with browser, and it's causing pain in me. I like firefox in ubuntu and have set up new account here and I'm going to use this browser on desktop for rest of my life. But I generally use 2 browsers because I need it for privacy. I tried above mentioned browser and scrolling is terrible in them. Plus they don't have pinch-zooming feature unlike firefox.
I tried this extension "smoothscroll", but I'm not sure what variables I should put to get firefox like scrolling, changing 4 different values by hit and trial would be impossible specially when their ranges is very high (like 500, 600 etc).
So, can you help me fix this? Like do you know about the scrolling set up to be done in smoothscroll chrome extension? Now, it's too fast If I knew the settings of my firefox, I'd just put it there in that.
Also, how do I zoom by using touchpad? That's pretty important feature for my usage. I've increased the zoom to 125% overall, but still I need it! Any way you can think of to fix this issue?

Brave can be a pain to install if not in the distro's repos.
I have only used the PDF software in limited capacities.

The find was not mine but that of a long-time user named rokytnji I have followed since I was a newbie using antiX 'Luddite.' I am just passing it on and am happy you like it, too. Does what I need.