I need a pdf reader and firefox alternative for Ubuntu!

Evince and Okular worked well when I tried opening pdf's.

Best PDF Readers for Linux​

f33dm3bits wrote:

This is wonderful news. Perhaps you could show how xpdf supports tabs.
It supports them out of the box you don't have to configure anything.
Screenshot_20220830_071718.png

f33dm3bits wrote:
It supports them out of the box
As far as I can see, from your example, what is supported is links to menu items from the sidebar in a single document, which is certainly a very useful function. However, this is distinct from tabs which generally appear in applications that use them in a bar across the top of the display each one able to hold a separate pdf file. This sort of tabbing is available in qpdfview, and is commonly available in web browsers, but I cannot see it in xpdf. xpdf will only open a second and third pdf file in a new window so far as I can make it. For a moment there I was quite excited. The cool aspect of xpdf is that its install size is so much more economical, 380k as opposed to qpdfview at 1198k, a significant difference.

As far as I can see, from your example, what is supported is links to menu items from the sidebar in a single document, which is certainly a very useful function.
If you look to the left of my screenshot there is a button that says "+tab" so the tabs are on the location to the left and you view the tab bij selecting one of the tabs above the "+tab" . It's not your usual way of tabbing but I would think this is done because xpdf is more of a bare/basic pdf viewer compared to most other ones out there.

Well, I'm stumped. My xpdf is: xpdf (3.04+git20220601-1) on debian, and I cannot see a way to achieve what you have shown. There's nothing in the xpdf manpage that mentions tabs, nor in the default xpdfrc file. Perhaps you can show the command you used to open that display of your screenshot.

Well, I'm stumped. My xpdf is: xpdf (3.04+git20220601-1) on debian, and I cannot see a way to achieve what you have shown.
I'm on Fedora 36 and this is this version I have installed.
Code:
name         : xpdf
Epoch        : 1
Version      : 4.04
Release      : 1.fc36
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 13 M
Source       : xpdf-4.04-1.fc36.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : updates
Summary      : A PDF file viewer for the X Window System
URL          : http://www.xpdfreader.com/
License      : (GPLv2 or GPLv3) and BSD
Description  : Xpdf is an X Window System based viewer for Portable Document Format
             : (PDF) files. Xpdf is a small and efficient program which uses
             : standard X fonts.
Which is the same version as the most recent version on the official website.
Current version: 4.04
Released: 2022 Apr 18
I didn't run any command to get this done because there is no way with xpdf to enable/disable settings through the menu. I just open xpdf through my menu. Maybe the package on Debian is just old?

Last edited:
Thanks for that information. It looks like the debian version, though evidently from June 1st, 2022, is behind the version in development than the one you have on fedora from the 18th of April, despite the later release date. And thanks for persisting with this. I guess I can at least look forward to a tabbing xpdf from the debian repos when they get around to it.

I prefer to not use those windoze-like bs 'appimage/snap' -- have not and will not.

Too many concessions to the dominant OS and getting away from the Debian philosophy will lead to a compromized GNU/Linux community worldwide. This seems to be what M$ and our national gov'ts desire.

I can see the writing on the wall.

I prefer to not use those windoze-like bs 'appimage/snap' -- have not and will not.
I don't care for Snaps either but the point of mentioning was to show that their are more options of installing an application and that it's not hard to install Brave. I do use Flatpaks for a few applications and I only like Flatpaks because I can update them through the command-line. I don't think AppImages and Snaps are Windows like, with Windows you installation archives aka exe/msi files and Snaps/AppImages are containerized applications.

Members online

Latest posts