I need help, Badly

0AWE

Reaction score
Credits
I've just brought a server from contabo, It uses CentOs7 I'm trying to make it so i can connect to it from VNC viewer and have a "virtual desktop" where it's like using it from home. I know this is possible since my old developer had done this, But I can't contact him. I'm using it to make a minecraft server, And I can't figure out anything

Hi @0AWE, and welcome to the site! There are a number of remote desktop applications that may work for you, but the only one I'm familiar with is TeamViewer. It is quite easy to use and is free for personal use. Whatever you choose, be sure to make it as secure as possible. Any app that allows outside connections can be risky.

Cheers

If you aren't looking for a GUI/Desktop (which you don't need for a minecraft server), you can just ssh into your server and work with the minecraft configs. If you do have a desktop environment installed, I believe chrome even now has remote-desktop capabilities. I know my son uses chrome to remote into a machine in our basement from college.

I'm using GNOME DESKTOP and tigerVNC but can't figure how to set it up correctly?

I'm using GNOME DESKTOP and tigerVNC but can't figure how to set it up correctly?

I've just Googled setting up VNC, and it is way over my head too. Do you really need to go that way? Maybe you can just use SSH or Chrome as @Rob suggested. Or you could try TeamViewer as I suggested. I think any of these would be much easier, but I'm not a gamer so I couldn't help with Minecraft configs either. :(

I've just brought a server from contabo, It uses CentOs7 I'm trying to make it so i can connect to it from VNC viewer and have a "virtual desktop" where it's like using it from home. I know this is possible since my old developer had done this, But I can't contact him. I'm using it to make a minecraft server, And I can't figure out anything

Well, I just looked up "Contabo" too, and that may make a difference. So I take it that your are renting or leasing a server from them, correct? If so, and you don't have physical access, I don't know what restrictions they may have that would allow or not allow you to do what you ask. Maybe @Rob will have better suggestions about this scenario.

Cheers

I have no knowledge of Team-Viewer or anything.. GNOME DESKTOP and TigerVNC is best solution i know

And to answer
Well, I just looked up "Contabo" too, and that may make a difference. So I take it that your are renting or leasing a server from them, correct? If so, and you don't have physical access, I don't know what restrictions they may have that would allow or not allow you to do what you ask. Maybe @Rob will have better suggestions about this scenario.

Cheers
It's possible since my old server I worked on did this on a contabo server, So I can't see why not. I just can't contact the developer to help me set it up since he is the one who did it

do you get anything that gives you any errors? is the vnc server/client being allowed thru the firewall? is there a way to test if it can be connected to from the servers localhost? or does it just not run? can you give any more info on why you can't set it up correctly?

Members online