I need to delete

U

URDRWHO

I have Linux Fire Fox 36 installed and when I look at Languages I see that English (GB) and English (South African) packs are available. They are disabled.

I live in the US and need an English Pack for US and I would like to remove the available English (GB) and English (South African) packs.

I also notice that when I use the mouse and right click languages these languages appear

English (Australia)
English (South Africa)
English (United Kingdom)
English (United States)
English (United States)

I found the dictionaries here -

/usr/lib/firefox/dictionaries/

The problem is that I can't just go into the usr folders and delete the files. Even though I am sudo it won't give me permission. "Access denied to /home/$$/.local/share/Trash/files/en_AU.aff."

It probably has to be done with a terminal command and i am very good at the terminal commands.

Also there is a british-english file here that I don't need /usr/share/dict/

There are also a lot of languages in this directory that I don't need

How can I clean up this language pack situation?

Last edited:

Firefox and LibreOffice uses myspell dictionaries for their spellchecker.

Search your package manager for myspell, purge the unneeded dictionaries and install the one you want.

You might have to choose it in firefox from the preferences/content tab languages option.

Good luck ;)

Will do.

Thanks

Firefox and LibreOffice uses myspell dictionaries for their spellchecker.

Search your package manager for myspell, purge the unneeded dictionaries and install the one you want.

You might have to choose it in firefox from the preferences/content tab languages option.

Good luck ;)

It all went well and things are working as expected. Now FF doesn't have the extra dictionaries. When FF checks spelling it only does it for English (US).
Good!..... :) I'm glad to hear that!..... :D

Members online

Latest posts