I seek answers for my Linux problem.

thomwalks

Reaction score
Credits
I really love linux, i've been dual booting linux from windows 10 home edition since atleast 1 year now and i mostly use Arch linux and Arch based distributions, but i've used ubuntu based and more, everything works like a charm apart from one thing, putting my computer in suspend mode and starting it the next day breaks the distro i use, same with shutdowning it and opening it again breaks them, i cannot access the tty cmd line after booting from grub, every issue i saw on other forums and wikias only described my problem when they had access to the tty, i've had this problem with every distro i have tried yet.
, i wanted to know if there is a potential fix for this problem, and if i simply install Arch completely instead of dual booting might fix the issue aswell. I also tried to run a linux distro in a Oracle virtual box and unsuprisingly, it worked fine on the VM, maybe it's my computer, i disabled fast boot and secure boot aswell. That's all, thanks in advance. It may also be that a prebuilt pc with windows isnt meant to run Linux :(

ACPI x64-based PC
info on pc : Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz 4-cores
: 1TB Hybrid Hark Disk + 8gb SSD / GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
On windows, i have 1 partition for windows installation that is 149GB large, another partition that is my Data partition 778Gb large where i stock all my games videos etc, and another partition for efi system partition which is 100 mb large, also recovery partition 886 mb large and another one i made myself because not enough efi is EFI System partition which is 2gb for boot.
edit: Thanks for all the quick answers, i appreciate it. My problem is now fixed:)

Last edited:

In your list of Partitions I did not see a linux partition mentioned If you are going to use suspend you may need a swap partition also. What does the terminal command
Code:
fdisk -l
show?
Have you tried adding
Code:
acpi=off
to the boot line in grub? if so what was the result?

In your list of Partitions I did not see a linux partition mentioned If you are going to use suspend you may need a swap partition also. What does the terminal command
Code:
fdisk -l
show?
Have you tried adding
Code:
acpi=off
to the boot line in grub? if so what was the result?
I have tried adding a Swap partition smaller, same size and bigger than my memory to no avail. I have no grub since I decided to just install Manjaro completely instead of dual booting which removed the grub bootloader and that seems to have fixed all the issues. Thanks a lot for your time :)

Last edited:
I have tried adding a Swap partition smaller, same size and bigger than my memory to no avail. I have no grub since I decided to just install Manjaro completely instead of dual booting which removed the grub bootloader and that seems to have fixed all the issues. Thanks a lot for your time :)
I think (notice I said think) that the Windows updates break the Grub bootloader.

I think (notice I said think) that the Windows updates break the Grub bootloader.
They can [not too often] if so it's a reinstallation/repair grub

They can [not too often] if so it's a reinstallation/repair grub
So if one has to perform boot repair and Windows has another update than boot repair would have to be practiced again?
In other words, another Windows update could start the cycle start all over again.

if i read that right 2gig for an efi partition might be overkill

I think he wrote solved at the bottom of his First post.
That's a big partition for efi.
Windows updates consistently broke my install about Four years back on Ubuntu. It has not happened since, because no more windows.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Members online