I still can't decide which distro to choose

Well my primary need is gaming.
I would think if your primary need is gaming a distro with the most current ('bleeding edge') software may be better suited.
Something with the most recent drivers for graphics and such.
Arch is known to be on the cutting edge but seems to require more in-depth knowledge and tinkering.
Manjaro is Arch related with a very nice UI.
I went through my 'distro hopping' phase years ago but finally settled down on Linux Mint for my daily driver. Sometimes I just want stuff to work without a lot of fiddling around. But I still like to test out the new releases of various distros and usually have a partition set aside for the purpose.

I would think if your primary need is gaming a distro with the most current ('bleeding edge') software may be better suited.
Something with the most recent drivers for graphics and such.
Arch is known to be on the cutting edge but seems to require more in-depth knowledge and tinkering.
Manjaro is Arch related with a very nice UI.
I went through my 'distro hopping' phase years ago but finally settled down on Linux Mint for my daily driver. Sometimes I just want stuff to work without a lot of fiddling around. But I still like to test out the new releases of various distros and usually have a partition set aside for the purpose.
Welcome aboard, mate! Have you done an intro posting Yet? So where in Maine are you from?

Happy Trails,
Paul

Welcome aboard, mate! Have you done an intro posting Yet? So where in Maine are you from?

Happy Trails,
Paul
Hello Paul,
I have not posted an intro yet :\ I should probably get right on that :)
I am close to Acadia National Park. Been here most of my life.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I just recently 're-discovered' the linux.org forums. I like what I see so decided to create an account.
"VP9KS" looks like a HAM call sign?

Hello Paul,
I have not posted an intro yet :\ I should probably get right on that :)
I am close to Acadia National Park. Been here most of my life.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I just recently 're-discovered' the linux.org forums. I like what I see so decided to create an account.
"VP9KS" looks like a HAM call sign?
So Baa Haabaa? I am from Eastport, to the north of you. Post your intro, and we can continue without hijacking this thread.:D
Happy Trails,
Paul

An update since I have been slacking ..........
At the time of making the first post had no idea of a rolling distro, now after messing around with a few different linux it makes sense what a rolling distro is.
Still using the Linux Solus with the desktop ( DE Budgie ) - - - Solus when I first installed it was 3.9999 and you could have a choice of 1 of 3 DE
Budgie / Gnome / Mate. With it being a Rolling Release which at the time made no sense to me, I figured it out very quickly though.

They say there is a bunch of new changes and improvements to make it better or faster or compatible I don't understand the technical part of it all.
All I know is now it's Solus 4 Fortitude and has 4 desktop environments to pick from Budgie / Gnome / Mate / added KDE Plasma stable testing.
I have not figured out what exactly the differences are between all the names - umm distros / desktop enviro ok DE yea that stuff.

All I know is the light comes on and goes off when I need it to. The name of the thing that makes each step happen I have no idea what it is called.
All I can say is - I want to watch blu ray disc and 4k from the pc tower to tv screen - it works as expected. I want to listen to music or moves in surround sound it works as advertised. The couple of games I want to work with out the need to make a bunch of different steps to get the games to play is 1 click easy.
Solus seems to still be doing what was expected from the get go, have not had any crashes or errors or lock up at load screen so far, knock on wood.

Before accidentally stumbling on to this version of Linux I had tried a few different 1's at a friends instances who is a die hard Linux Fan.
He still tells me I need to do everything on Linux in the Terminal with commands, I still can't make sense of that. I asked him that is like saying to make a sandwich the only way I can have one is to grow, harvest, process, grind, bake, and produce everything I need for the sandwich myself then make it.
Why when I can go to a place where I can get a sandwich all ready made to eat without the extra work ? The end result is the same.

Members online

Latest posts