I think someone is accessing my system remotely.

dbbaskerville

Reaction score
Credits
Good morning,

Long story short I have been having a number of different types of intrusions whether my apartment, cell phone, computer, etc. I know that there is someone that is hacking into my computer and I want to know if there is a way for me to find out who, how to stop them and prevent this from happening again? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Before anyone says it, yes, I am moving...

Thank you.

Are you using Linux?
Do you have vnc server turned on?
Do have the firewall turned on?
Do you have any ssh server set up in your system?

I am using Linux Deepin 20.05. I have not heard of the VNC server. I am a noob somewhat. I do have my firewall turned on as of a couple of days ago and I believe that disabled the ssh server function.

What makes me think this I have found hidden bluetooth devices in my home, my network keeps picking up on a hidden camera and when certain people come around I notice a tremendous slowdown on my computer and all of a sudden all of these other programs start running in the background. When I disconnect my computer from the connection when these people are around the moment that I disconnect (they can't see me doing this by the way) they are visably pissed off but try to hide their frustrations.

I have since banned these people and any communications with them because of some other things that I found out.

But just to make sure that I am protecting my equipment I would like to know how to check and then use some preventative measures of security.

There is a device on my network that suddenly appeared and when I checked the MAC ID it shows that it is an Espressif device. When I looked the company up I was able to narrow down that it had to be some type of camera or recording device. And banned as in not allowing them back over to my crib.

I checked the MAC ID it shows that it is an Espressif device
Just disconnect that device from router settings and change the wifi password to a strong one. if the hackers are brute-forcing the password if would be difficult to find the password if you use a strong one

Thank you for that suggestion. I wondered if that's what was going on. They are "playihng games" on the phone but I figured that they were either some type of coding app or brute force disguised as a game.

One last question, the directions are telling me to download a remote desktop viewer. Do I need to do this even though I am running on a Linux system?

You don't need to configure any vnc server unless you need to access your PC / Linux from a remote location
Vnc allows you to control your PC remotely from a different location or from your same network if the hackers know your wifi password and you think your system is compromised don't set up a VNC server

Well the first thing I would do is run sudo inxi -n that will tell you what devices are connecting via your laptop and blacklist any that don't belong, as I own my own router I would then interrogate the router and see what's connected to it and again black list anything that does not belong, then I would change the password to something very strong [you can safely check the strength of a password here. .https://www.uic.edu/apps/strong-password/ ]

Your Espressif device could be anything from a smart toaster to a micro camera spy device or a home help [alexa or similar] type device

Password security, it may surprise you, but the most common password is just that, "password" then come 1234567890, qwertyu, and zxcvbnm, all will be beaten by a good password cracker in a few minutes, but most people fall into the family and favourite trap, name of wife, children, grandchildren, the town you were born, favourite sports star, drink, pets name, food, etc these are a little harder for the outsider to crack, But anyone who knows you will try these first,
to make a strong password, take 2 or 3 random words[I will do this with the aide of my dictionary by opening it at random and taking the first and last word on the page, OK I got "parquet and together" now how can we make it stronger one way is to change the t to a 7 and the o to a 0, so now we have parque7and70ge7her that's a bit stronger, let's have a few capitals but NOT at the beginning of any word, so we get pARquE7and70Ge7hEr, much stronger finally add a couple of wild cards, and we end up with pAR-quE7/and_70G+e7h/Er that would be a strong password

Members online

Latest posts