I want to know if there are different ways to install LINUX on a Lenovo T420

It is unimportant. the true problem IS that I cant boot from an USB to install linux

It's been so long since I've used windows, I don't know the disk admin tools will let you do this or not.
I don't think the lack of label is the problem, but yes an easy way to assign a label to something is using the Windows Disk Managment utility. But if the OP doesn't have Windows then this doesn't help of course. It should already have some default name from it's firmware, so that might be an indication that there is something wrong with the usb

I'm coming to this party a little bit late, and I'm sure this was discussed before in another thread somewhere.
But how exactly was the USB image created? Rufus, Etcher? dd mode, iso mode? Purchased already made?

What program are you using to burn the .iso onto the usb stick?

How to do this? Indeed, I gave a Name to my USB drive. So I dont understand why it is displayed like this
If you are own Windows you can create it in disk management.

ok this is a little embarrasing, but I actually went and found a couple usb sticks that I tried to boot from when I first installed this a couple years ago, and I actually didn't make them bootable, it's just the iso file copied straight on the stick, no wonder it didn't work lol. I guess a less knowledgable me hoped it would and then was too lazy to find a program haha. So yes it could just be the software you used

Thank you a lot ! Try every time to install linux damaged the boot of my computer with a blinking cursor. So I burnt from another computer a Windows ISO with the same USB. The same display (USB HDD: (nothing else)), and the same incapacity to anything with this. So. After your reply I borrow an USB drive from my neighboor. I tried it using a Windows ISO. It displayed correctly. It works. In this moment I'm reinstalling Windows. You are right. I'm going to buy another USB.
I don't think the lack of label is the problem, but yes an easy way to assign a label to something is using the Windows Disk Managment utility. But if the OP doesn't have Windows then this doesn't help of course. It should already have some default name from it's firmware, so that might be an indication that there is something wrong with the usb

I have no idea if you have the same problem like me but:
I have a very old PC (bought 2009, 1st gen core i7) and (I dont know since when, it worked perfectly years ago) and every Linux distribution AND windows need ages to boot from USB. I dont know why, it just happened. Booting an installed os is normal but USB boot is very slow. And with very slow I mean up to 1hr or more. Only way to install anything on this pc is select the grub option and, with the blinking cursor, wait for a very long time. Suddenly it just begins a normal os boot. Maybe waiting is the key

(if anyone has experienced this or an idea I'm open for suggestions ;))

You haven't answered the question really, "How" are you making these USB drives?

Thank you! But I began the process already. Anyway, all the softwares I installed and my files are in my second partition.
I have no idea if you have the same problem like me but:
I have a very old PC (bought 2009, 1st gen core i7) and (I dont know since when, it worked perfectly years ago) and every Linux distribution AND windows need ages to boot from USB. I dont know why, it just happened. Booting an installed os is normal but USB boot is very slow. And with very slow I mean up to 1hr or more. Only way to install anything on this pc is select the grub option and, with the blinking cursor, wait for a very long time. Suddenly it just begins a normal os boot. Maybe waiting is the key

(if anyone has experienced this or an idea I'm open for suggestions ;))

I used Rufus.
In ISO mode or DD mode? Some Distro's ( Fedora and Redhat for sure ) won't work in ISO mode.
They do checksum on the created image, if it doesn't match, it won't let you use it.
Also, some distro's are picky about which filesystem format the disk was formatted with.

I succed in "dualbooting" the my PC with Windows and Linux mint. But whenever I launch Linux mint via GRUB, there a black screen which display for 4 seconds with some sentences which end with (.....errors), then again sentences which end with "succesfully" during 3 seconds. Finally Linux mint logo displays et the operating system launch perfectly.

Why is this like this?
Must I redo the installation ?

In ISO mode or DD mode? Some Distro's ( Fedora and Redhat for sure ) won't work in ISO mode.
They do checksum on the created image, if it doesn't match, it won't let you use it.
Also, some distro's are picky about which filesystem format the disk was formatted with.
I tried both.

Why is this like this?

There are sometimes errors with hardware and other minor errors that are probably best described as warnings. Without specifics, we really can't say.

If it's working perfectly, why bother? Those errors probably won't go away. It sounds like you removed the quiet splash? If so, you can put that back in there and pretend the errors don't exist.

Thank you a lot ! Try every time to install linux damaged the boot of my computer with a blinking cursor. So I burnt from another computer a Windows ISO with the same USB. The same display (USB HDD: (nothing else)), and the same incapacity to anything with this. So. After your reply I borrow an USB drive from my neighboor. I tried it using a Windows ISO. It displayed correctly. It works. In this moment I'm reinstalling Windows. You are right. I'm going to buy another USB.
You're welcome! So glad I could help!

I succed in "dualbooting" the my PC with Windows and Linux mint. But whenever I launch Linux mint via GRUB, there a black screen which display for 4 seconds with some sentences which end with (.....errors), then again sentences which end with "succesfully" during 3 seconds. Finally Linux mint logo displays et the operating system launch perfectly.

Why is this like this?
No you don't have to redo, it does exactly the same with me on my computer every time I turn it on for a few seconds, I think it's just figuring out how to run on your system before it starts, as long as it runs perfectly you're good to go

The debian installation on the machine always recognised the plugged in dvd drive as /dev/sr0, but before that at installation, that usb disk drive appeared the boot menu which was then chosen to install the OS. Thinkpads do vary, ....

Members online