I Want to Learn About New Distros

ahmetgnen

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone i am currently using popos and it is really great in general but i want to try some new distros out there and my question is is there any other distros that is easy to change the gpu just like in the popos ? Thanks for your comments ...

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-08-20 13-15-44.png
    Screenshot from 2022-08-20 13-15-44.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 173

POP is based on Ubuntu, so start with other of the Ubuntu offshoots, but you may still have to install some of the graphic drivers

You should try them live first. Try Ubuntu, Mint, Maybe MX. Good place to start.

Do you know any apps that can do gpu selection on the other distros ?
All the major Distros can do that the difference is that with Pop it comes set up out of the box, Where with Ubuntu say you may have to install the drivers, and firmware yourself. I take it you mostly likely have an Intel/ Nvidia split gpu?

All the major Distros can do that the difference is that with Pop it comes set up out of the box, Where with Ubuntu say you may have to install the drivers, and firmware yourself. I take it you mostly likely have an Intel/ Nvidia split gpu?
I have an Amd Ryzen 7 4800H/Nvidia GTX 1660 TI split.

What is the program called?
And is there any chances of damaging the system?

No real chance of damaging the system but like I said try them all with live usbs first that should tell you what works and what does not. no need to install each one and wipe what you already have.
There is no one program that does this you have to have both AMD and Nvidia drivers installed. Do a search on how to switch between them on the Distro you are using. PopOS is the only one I know of that sets this up without a lot of work on the ops part. I don't have a lot experience with doing this so maybe some else on here will be able to give you a better answer.

No real chance of damaging the system but like I said try them all with live usbs first that should tell you what works and what does not. no need to install each one and wipe what you already have.
There is no one program that does this you have to have both AMD and Nvidia drivers installed. Do a search on how to switch between them on the Distro you are using. PopOS is the only one I know of that sets this up without a lot of work on the ops part. I don't have a lot experience with doing this so maybe some else on here will be able to give you a better answer.
Ok thanks for your answer. i have another question how can i try live usb like you said i have no idea how to do that?

Ok thanks for your answer. i have another question how can i try live usb like you said i have no idea how to do that?
You download the .iso file of the Distro you interested in and burn it to a 4GB or larger usb stick then make sure you computer bois is set to boot from the usb stick first. I'm not familiar with POPOS and what burning software it has But I recommend using Etcher. Which can be found here it's simple and does a good Job. Here is Mint's help page that tells you how to make a live usb.
It's about the same for all Distros. In POPOS I believe their burner is call Popsicle or something like that.

Expanding on what @kc1di said, any Linux application can be installed to most distributions, [in many cases it will be in the distribution repository] have a play around

if you want to tr ya bunch of Linux iso , then you might try the ventoy approach. Basically using a ventoy script , it formats a usb into two partitions. One mounts just like normal and you can literally drag and drop linus iso. The other partition isn't visbile when you mount the usb but it has all the magic ; so you get a splash on booting the usb and a choice of which iso to want to boot. There is a tutorial thread on this site. https://linux.org/threads/usb-linux-boot-ventoy.29944/

I check this link, sometimes, and search for something new/different in distros to look into for download

Members online