I was playing Final Fantasy XIV on Steam on April 9, has stopped working.

Karui-Akuma

Reaction score
Credits
When I got home from work on Friday, April 9 I played FFXIV for six hours before going to bed. When I awoke, I wanted to continue my adventures in Eorzea, but the game ceased to work. I would launch the program through steam, but it would hang for a few seconds before crashing. There was no launcher for me to log in. I have attached my crash log from steam, but there are a lot of errors due to me missing some repo's. The error I found most pertinent was that Steam claims that there was a "Fatal IO error 9". I searched everywhere online, but nothing came up.

Attachments

• error.txt
    26 KB · Views: 481

Try a different proton version, can't be your configuration since you said it was working before. Maybe the proton version was updated, I've had it that some games would only run with a previous proton version.

I am using 6.1 GE-2, and that was what I was using Friday, I have also tried it on 6.3, and 6.5 GE-2. Do you think that the error 9 might be the cause? I was playing Yakuza Kiwami today, but both Yakuza Zero and Kiwami 2 will not run under 6.1, 6.5, or 6.3.

I missed that part, but yes that error makes it sound like it's an X11 problem, I would try launching the game and then look through your Xorg.0.log file to see if you can find any useful information there.

What exactly am I looking for? The log just shows my drivers operating as per usual.

What's the output of the following?
Code:
sudo grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[ 31.987] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

Nope that doesn't seem to be anything. What I would do if I were you since you have other games that do launch is uninstall the game(FF XIV), make sure all the game files and directories of that game have been removed from under steamapps/common and then reinstall the game and see what happens.
I am using 6.1 GE-2, and that was what I was using Friday, I have also tried it on 6.3, and 6.5 GE-2. Do you think that the error 9 might be the cause? I was playing Yakuza Kiwami today, but both Yakuza Zero and Kiwami 2 will not run under 6.1, 6.5, or 6.3.
This is a bit of topic but useful information anyways if you didn't know it yet, you can can configure per game which proton version you want to it to launch with.

Although before you reinstall your game you can first try verifying your game files:
1. Right Click on your game and select "Properties"
2. Then go to "Local Files"
3. Then click on "Verify integrity of game files"
4. After it has successfully verified try launching your game again
5. If it still crashes then try uninstalling and then reinstalling the game.

And for when you want to launch a game with a specific proton version instead of selecting "Local files", you select "Comparability" and there you can choose which proton version you want for that game.

Last edited:
Do you think I should reinstall steam?
I doubt that it will fix it but it's worth a shot. If you reinstall Steam and it works than you know it was a Steam issue of some sort and if it doesn't than it's probably a game update which isn't playing nice with proton, also make sure your remove all your Steam files before reinstalling Steam.

Last edited:
Deleting steam didn’t solve it. I am sure it is a problem with the line “Fatal IO error 9” as it is the only thing in the error log that I can’t find any information on.

I ran into this same problem the other day most of my games would instantly crash when launching through Steam, for some strange reason there was one that did launch. I had some strange errors in my Steam log file and the Xorg log file, in the end I tried to downgrade mesa to a previous working version. After I downgraded mesa to a previous working version all my games were able to launch and run again without crashing, so I would have a look at downgrading your video drivers.

Last edited:

Members online