i3 wm distros are not booting as live usb

Yes, this is definitely Wizard's specialty. I have had 3 or 4 distros on at once, but I choose to let each distro keep it's own /home folder inside of it's / partition. You can indeed make a /home partition that can be shared between the different distros, but it's just not how I have gone with it before.

You rang?

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Sounds like the foundation for a new Thread, Capta?

Very briefly, there a pros and cons about sharing Home.

A good start (& you have used both Debian-based and Arch-based Distros so far, is that so? I'll call these Families) is to run a Ctrl-h on your Home folder/partition (make it permanent, it is useful) and start looking for folders and files which may include content that is exclusive to one Family or another, or provide conflict.

Another involves the settings in your internet browser/s and email client/s, and how they are stored, but we will look at that further.

Gotta fly

Wizard

Hello Chris,
Yes, it could be a new Thread. I will make a new one if we continue this conversation.

Good-o.

I'm preparing an environment on my 2TB HDD that I can set back to UEFI-GPT and install maybe 3 distros.

I am thinking Fedora, LM 19.2 'Tina' MATE, and an Arch-based one. I have two Arcolinux and 7 Manjaro already, so might try something different.

Cheers

Wiz

Just an update Capta.

I have Fedora Work Station 31 Cinnamon installed, with its own discrete Home partition.

I have LM 19.2 'Tina' MATE on a Live stick with Persistence, ready to install, and I have Chakra (Arch-based originally, but forked from Arch) downloaded and will burn soon.

I just have to catalogue what is in the Home partition currently with Fedora, to make benchmark comparisons as the others are added.

I will likely start a Thread myself, and link to it from here, next couple of days, so stay tuned.

Cheers and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Aww, Schucks ;), save the love and kisses until I deliver.

Had a hiccup during the Fedora install whereby it turned my pre-prepared FAT32 partition for UEFI/ESP into FAT16. Fedora worked OK, but I wasn't going to gamble with the 2 to still be installed, so I converted the ESP from within Fedora without loss of data, using GParted (I'll write about that some time) and it works fine now, so LM 19.2 'Tina' MATE is next.

Love you too, Bro' take care

Chris

I was inspired by Wiz from Oz and his multiple distros on one cp, so decided to give that a try: just to see how many I can pack on this 8 year old Acer Laptop Aspire v3-771g.
So far I have 8 different distros. Am learning a lot about gparted along the way, among many other things.
Cheers!
TC

I was inspired by Wiz from Oz and his multiple distros on one cp, so decided to give that a try: just to see how many I can pack on this 8 year old Acer Laptop Aspire v3-771g.
So far I have 8 different distros. Am learning a lot about gparted along the way, among many other things.
Cheers!
TC
Awesome! :cool::D

Charlie Corder, you rogue :)

Your Post above had slipped through my net, and it was only that I was coming over here to say something to Capta that I caught it.

8 Distros? Very intrepid of you. And GParted is legend when you are multi-booting.

Goodonyer

Cheers
Wizard

Capta - holding update.

Have LM 19.2 'Tina' MATE working side-by-side with Fedora WS 31 Cinnamon and sharing the same Home partition, working fine and with benefits I will write about.

Chakra install went fine, but trying to install Timeshift (essential to the exercise) onto it proved an obstacle I could not overcome easily, so I will replace it with a real Arch-based Distro and soldier on.

Cheers

Wiz

Members online