Identical laptop's ip seen from Different servers

gdf

Reaction score
Credits
I use my laptop log in different vps by ssh,while the last ip in /var/log/secure differs a lot,
Could sb help me?
Thank you!

Did your IP address change between the time you logged in earlier and you logged in now? Even from the same ISP, addresses can vary greatly.

That's the most simple explanation.

Were you using a VPN when connected last time?

Did you do geolocation on the unknown address?

Well, someone accessed it with an unknown IP address. That's something you can be pretty sure of.

I'd geolocate the IP address and check other logs to see what signs they left behind. I'd do my bst to gie a forensic examination before wiping it clean and restoring from clean backups. If no such backups exist, I'd start again - making sure to follow best-practices with regards to security. (Stuff like disabling password login and requiring a key to get into the server.)

Reactions: gdf
@KGIII ....Just to add to your workload, David, a blurb about how to geolocate an IP address may be an idea?

And....
Stuff like disabling password login and requiring a key to get into the server.)
?

It's pretty basic to geolocate an IP address. Just pick a service and go:

(etc... there's tons of sites for this)

You can disable password login with SSH.

See also:

A properly secured key is a zillion times better than a password. An improperly secured key is still probably better security than a password. You can mostly deal with brute-force attacks with firejail, but a properly secured key is a zillion times better. It's not even hard to secure it. Keep it where it should be and keep a backup on a thumbdrive that you don't walk around with. Logout of your device when you walk away from it, at least lock the screen.

Members online

Latest posts