If we can avoid politics, Queen Elizabeth II has passed away...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
She was quite the character and ruled for a very, very long time.

So, try avoiding the politics. That may be difficult, but do your best.

As an American, I have always liked the Royal Family. Queen Mum was a hoot and Prince Philip was always good for a gaff from time to time. Like many, Diana was my favorite and QE dismayed me in her treatment of Diana but...she did redeem herself. I have always thought that William would be the salvation of the Royal Family and awaits his turn behind his father.

For many of my generation, she's all we've ever known. She's always been there; a constant, quiet, reassuring presence that all's OK with the world. Even for Mama - who's nearly 90 herself - she was there for her entire adult life (she and the old man got hitched the year of Elizabeth's coronation).

Rest in peace, Ma'am. You've been an inspiration - and an amazing example - to us all.

Mike.

Last edited:
I am a citizen of both the US and Canada. To become a Canadian citizen, I had to swear an oath to the queen, which was kinda amusing. The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, but Canada does. Ah well... Basically it means no matter what they gotta let me in!

King Charles, at 73, becomes the oldest British king to take the throne.

Wizard

King Charles, at 73, becomes the oldest British king to take the throne.

That makes sense. He's pretty old. I'd be surprised if he lives as long as the former Queen did. I'm pretty sure, too lazy to double check, that she held the record for the longest reigning monarch - probably anywhere.

70 years (69 from her coronation).

She became Queen when her father King George VI died 6 February 1952, but her Coronation was not until 2 June 1953.

A lot of people mistakenly think that Sir Edmund Hilary (NZ) and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay reached the summit of Everest on the same day, but in fact that happened on 29 May 1953, and news of it arrived in London on the day of the Coronation.

Louis XIV of France was longest reigning monarch, a duration of 72 years 110 days, the Queen was second.

Wiz

Avagudweegend

Louis XIV of France was longest reigning monarch, a duration of 72 years 110 days

Ah, so she's 2nd. That's still amazing. I guess if we wanted to draw the line based on gender, we could say she's the longest reigning queen.

Seeing as Mercury has passed, we still have Brian May as a member of Queen. (I mention that because I saw an image earlier that had May, Clapton, someone else, and the Queen in it.) It's going to be weird, because you could just say 'the queen' and everyone knew who you meant. But, yeah, she was there with the rockers and I think it might have been after some knighting ceremony.

As for personal stories, I got to see her and the security detail whisk passed when she visited DC back in the seventies. Like mentioned above, she was the only UK monarch I've been alive for. She had class.

David, even though we are in Off Topic, I won't go off topic with this thread but keep an eye open this weekend in my Rock Roxx thread and I'll have something on Brian May and the Queen.

Cheers

I generally dislike all royal families since they are a bunch of millionaires funded by the taxpayers money and that's all I'm going to say about that. But may she RIP or enjoy her next life!

Last edited:
I know Britons love their queen and kingship in general, they flock to the weddings and the happenings, so condolence to all of you Britons

Last edited:
Say what we may she had dignity and ruled the realm well for 70yrs. She will be missed by many and I don't hold out a lot of hope for the new King. Thankfully it's mostly ceremonial these days. But I wish him the best.

Goodbye to Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor, Rest in peace
after just over 100 years the house of Windsor now becomes the house of Mountbatten-Windsor.

The two previous Charles were not very auspicious in their reigns, And I can't see this one being any better, Still time will tell.

Members online