I'm Back.

• Thread starter Deleted member 128018
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 128018

Hello Everybody I'm back and all is well and with good news.

I never located my backup hard drive no idea where it's stashed.

I did find another computer I had and it has two 120 GB hard drives and 8 gigs of memory. :cool:

Second time installing Linux was a lot easier than the first time.

I copied and pasted each terminal command in the terminal and installed Timeshift and set it up and completed my first snapshot. :D

The only issue setting up Timeshift was the backup drive wasn't a Linux partition.
I did a web search to find out how to create an ext4 Linux partition using "Gparted".
Once that was done I was able to finish setting up Timeshift and do a first snapshot.

I'm understanding the frustration with the learning curve that new Linux users experience when moving from Windows to Linux because there is a lot of new to learn. o_O

m understanding the frustration with the learning curve that new Linux users experience when moving from Windows to Linux because there is a lot of new to learn.
as I said in my first post in your original thread
you have a learning curve ahead of you, so grab a beer kick your shoes off and enjoy the ride
you have already taken the biggest step, keep it up, you will do fine

Bwiz

I'm understanding the frustration with the learning curve that new Linux users experience when moving from Windows to Linux because there is a lot of new to learn. o_O
Methinks perhaps, "MS has lots to unlearn" be more appropriate be given that old MS has some rather nasty habits of teaching habits which be considered bad in circles even less humble than me own (sorry, been pirate stuff binging).

German how are you
I'm calling <|-|@T |30T on this.

What do you mean dude
As noted before, that is by both myself and my peers, through reviews of given evidence of sources different in origin, but with one or more common intersectionality, the limited function by which software designed for natural language in complicated constructs is clearly limited in that sentences very vivaciously vividly vehemently verbose, veer very virtuously off course, of course, that being an effectively earnest excellent example of Man's superiority to his creation, despite dually-dogmatic debates deliberating dystopic destinies determining otherwise.

Methinks perhaps, "MS has lots to unlearn" be more appropriate be given that old MS has some rather nasty habits of teaching habits which be considered bad in circles even less humble than me own (sorry, been pirate stuff binging).
Microsoft made some good OSs before Windows 8.0/8.1 and Windows 10.
Windows 10 is better than Windows 8.0/8.1 not by much though.
Microsoft OSs were the best at one time but not anymore.

Microsoft made some good OSs before Windows 8.0/8.1 and Windows 10.
Windows 10 is better than Windows 8.0/8.1 not by much though.
Microsoft OSs were the best at one time but not anymore.
I think that depends on how you guage an OS. If user-friendliness and design don't matter, then UNIX, BSDUnix, and Apple had them beat from the start. If you factor in user-friendliness and appearance, well then it gets blurry between Apple and MS. I'm not a fan of Apple's older look from the PowerPC days, but it's reasonably polished. Personally, I hated Windows at one point: When I first used 3.1. I had never used anything outside MSDOS, so this GUI shell (it wasn't an OS, just a shell running atop DOS) was scary, but fun/interesting and I could drop back to DOS to get system-level stuff and programming in BASIC done. However, either 95 or 98 was the first Windows OS with its own kernel. I frickin' went ballistic. There I was, lost in this GUI nightmare. I couldn't rely on AUTOEXEC.BAT, I couldn't run QBasic stuff, I was helpless. Being fair, WindowsXP was my next encounter and I found I'd learned enough by then to make it solid. XP was good if you don't factor on security or bad practice. Served me well for a good 10 years since I refused Vista. Eventually landed Win7 and it was a 10/10 good OS minus the bad practice and potential security flaws (security was beefed up and I had Comodo full suite). I won't lie, XP and 7 were good OSes, but probably only because there weren't alternatives for me at the time. I can't comment beyond 7 much. I tried the 8 preview release, vomitted, and deleted my VM. I decided I'd stick with 7. TBH, I had the mildest notion of changing OSes if 7 reached EOL back then, but I was sure they'd fix it. They did. I haven't worked on Wiin10 minus a brief moment on someone else's PC. Having spent 10+ years using Linux and closing on 6 using Linux exclusively, I've forgotten a lot, though at least I can navigate a little. But that's not the reason I'd never go back to MS. It's a case of trust, privacy, and resulting security along with flexibility. On Linux distros like Debian and Arch, you have an extraordinary amount of fine control. On Debian, you have unmatched stability. On Arch, you have a once-off install (Win10 tried and failed at that). So, yes, from the perspective of me then, XP and 7 were the greatest, but with what I know now, my past self would think differently if he had my knowledge, as he was a tinkerer and loved modifying and customising stuff.

Ah. Sorry, I tend to be verbose at times.

Members online

Latest posts