I'm building my first server and it's so different than building a PC :OO [HELP!]

ljhwild

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I watched a bunch of videos on YT how to get an old enterprise server and make it work as home media device or a home server, the things are pretty cheap, but I'm also a pretty poor student, so I'd rather not experiment with parts that might not work. I'm planning to go with DebianEdu or Fedora and it's important for me to be able to add as many USB devices as possible.
So far I bought a motherboard, it's just plain solo mobo with all the slots and sockets and heatsink mounts but that's it, no case, no cables, nothing
It's from HP Reliant Dl360p G7 server https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c02206768
Userguide: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c02065265&docLocale=en_US
1667657884223.png

1667657918201.png

it has dual lga1366, 24 ram slots for some old school ram and one pcie.
Below is the parts I intend to get and questions I have in regards to that
1x Intel Xeon X5570 (6 core) + a refurbished heatsink for that server <-- anything I should be aware of here?
16GB (4x 4GB) of ram DDR3 1333MHz RDIMM or UDIMM <--- how to make sure I get the correct ram, could you please offer an example of a listing offering this cheap?
PowerSupply
Option 1 - I found a PSU for DL360p G5, I see they don't have standard PSU plugs like on pc, but some custom bus, will it fit? It has 750W, while the standard PSU that originally came with this server is 460W, but it's somehow far more expensive. Should I expect any problems?
Option 2 - 1x 460W PSU standard for this rack, <-- the server has connectors for 2 such psu and they are more expensive, if I use just 1 cpu and 32gb ram, and some discrete graphic cards, will I be able to run this set up on 1 psu?

HDD? This is a big shocker for me but this MOBO doesn't seem to have any SATA. I've read it supports SAS. From what I understand I will need to get some intermediate hardware to connect the discs to the mobo? Because it seems I should be able to connect many hardrives, but at best there could 3-4 pottenital slots. The manual mentions some backplane, but I've got no clue what it means what I need to buy. Ultimately I don't even need SAS. I would be completely happy if I could connect 2x SATA 500gb SSDs I have lying around. What are my options?
1667657704973.png

1667657737963.png

Next I would like some discreet graphics capable of running lxqt or lxde, but if I can something better at abudget for PCIe 2.0 x16 would be great (if I'm correct and I can put one of those on this mobo)

Aaaaand my large number of USBs requirment. As I said I would like to connect as many USBs as possible, I know there are some limits as per how many devices can a controller have connected even with powered hubs, so what are my options here? Would you know how many I can install off the bat using the two usb slots on MOBO (one externall and one internall) and do I have any options to increase that number? Some expansions or repurpose a different component? I think I am still left with a PCIe 2.0 x8 after using the x16 slot?

Finally do I need to be aware of anything else? I'm intending to run this set-up at first out any case, just places on a large insulated sheet.
I'm doing this Guerilla way, I can't afford the box at the moment, weirdly it's the most expensive part :p

I've been on this research quest for few weeks now and finally I've got the funds to buy most of the parts. Would be great to order today :O
I will really appreciate help and discussion. If you don't know about EVERYTHING I asked, but you can answer a part of, please do :)

Xeon X5570 is not compatible with this motherboard
extra usb 2 or 3 can be attained by using a pci/usb card [usually 4 or 5 usb ports] something like this..PCI-E to USB 3.0 4-Port PCI Express Expansion Card Adapter Hub VIA 5Gbps
memory would be 4GB DDR3-1333 Uddim [check e-bay or other auction sites]
PSU provided it has the correct connections [and number] then more available power won't hurt, it will only use what is needed]
I need to be aware of anything else?

Lots, start with getting a cheap second hand case they can be picked up quite cheap either an old tower or rack case

I have a ProLiant G7, if you lived close I would just give it to you.
This is a VERY expensive built out. It takes proprietary RAM, proprietary hard drives,
and isn't compatible with most CPUs.

Xeon X5570 is not compatible with this motherboard
Wow thanks. I was so careless here. I was looking at X5570 and X5670, thanks so much! I fixed the build to include X5670, now's good right?
extra usb 2 or 3 can be attained by using a pci/usb card [usually 4 or 5 usb ports] something like this..PCI-E to USB 3.0 4-Port PCI Express Expansion Card Adapter Hub VIA 5Gbps
Great, okay. I want USB2, because USB3 uses data both-ways and that gives half of the available devices available.
memory would be 4GB DDR3-1333 Uddim [check e-bay or other auction sites]
I found 4x ECC DDR3 MICRON 1333MHz 4GB, 16gb for 6usd
PSU provided it has the correct connections [and number] then more available power won't hurt, it will only use what is needed]
Okay, good to know. I messaged the seller to find out if G5 fits on G7.
Lots, start with getting a cheap second hand case they can be picked up quite cheap either an old tower or rack case
Will do sir. Anything else I should know?

You're such a nice guy. And you helped me out with that Docker IP problem. If I lived closer it would be cool to make friends. It's a very kind offer. As it is thought, I'll have to build it and I'm happy about it, because I love all IT and this is new experience and it seems to fit my budget.
This is a VERY expensive built out. It takes proprietary RAM, proprietary hard drives,
What's best is that it USED TO BE very expensive.
The mobo was literally 30 usd, the cpu 6core is 10-15usd, the heatsinks replacement for this G7 is about 10-15usd refurbished, ram as I said, got 16gb listed above for around 6usd.
My total investment so far would be at max 66usd for a 6-core, 16gb ram set-up.

The hard drives indeed are problem, because I don't even know what is SAS smart controller. But there must be some way to install a normal hard-drive or find a refurbished or replacement connector. I'm just unsure what to google for here.

yes it takes the 56** series cpu, just a point to note, if it starts with X then it is over 90W if it is E, then its 65-80 W and if E, under 60 W so a cpu with X56*** will use 50% [up to 100% more power]

yes it takes the 56** series cpu, just a point to note, if it starts with X then it is over 90W if it is E, then its 65-80 W and if E, under 60 W so a cpu with X56*** will use 50% [up to 100% more power]
Thanks, luckily I don't need to be too green with this one, I have free unlimited electricity for this project. It won't run forever it's a start up setup :)

Yeah if you're a poor student build a rasberry pi server, or convert a laptop or phone into a server...jesus...

Im personally not very poor, but i would NEVER build a standard industrial server or even build a high-gaming computer...

I hope you can accomplish what you want, OP, without spending thousands of dollars!

Yeah if you're a poor student build a rasberry pi server, or convert a laptop or phone into a server...jesus...

Im personally not very poor, but i would NEVER build a standard industrial server or even build a high-gaming computer...

I hope you can accomplish what you want, OP, without spending thousands of dollars!
I'm a poor student that needs performance at a price, with a machine like this I can learn so much. It allows for great number of virtual machines and learning how to network them and administrate sounds super awesome fun. I have a project in mind involving at least 10-20 machines.
When it comes to PC I've got an i5 8th gen, 16gb ddr4 2666 and 2x500gb ssd. I need it for other stuff at the uni, and secondly it's kind of solid (great price to performance ratio) but it won't be enough to run 10 vms 24/7 for some time and still allow me to do the things i need. Neither would raspberry, right?
I've build great pcs for a fraction of the market price. But currently I can't dedicate these resources to the project. This stuff is becoming obsolete for any modern business, so it's going to have great price to performance ratio. It would be a shame to let this to waste. The problem is I've never built a physical server, so I feel a bit lost with the components. And the fact that the last piece I'm missing is the hard-drives means I'm just a step away from trying to bring it to life.
If you could I would really appreciate if you could tell me what components I'd need to connect hdds to this mobo? Or if you could kindly tell me what parts would HP use for that task and how it's actually called so I can try to snatch it somewhere second-hand. Thanks a lot, kind regards.

I'm a poor student that needs performance at a price, with a machine like this I can learn so much. It allows for great number of virtual machines and learning how to network them and administrate sounds super awesome fun. I have a project in mind involving at least 10-20 machines.
When it comes to PC I've got an i5 8th gen, 16gb ddr4 2666 and 2x500gb ssd. I need it for other stuff at the uni, and secondly it's kind of solid (great price to performance ratio) but it won't be enough to run 10 vms 24/7 for some time and still allow me to do the things i need. Neither would raspberry, right?
I've build great pcs for a fraction of the market price. But currently I can't dedicate these resources to the project. This stuff is becoming obsolete for any modern business, so it's going to have great price to performance ratio. It would be a shame to let this to waste. The problem is I've never built a physical server, so I feel a bit lost with the components. And the fact that the last piece I'm missing is the hard-drives means I'm just a step away from trying to bring it to life.
If you could I would really appreciate if you could tell me what components I'd need to connect hdds to this mobo? Or if you could kindly tell me what parts would HP use for that task and how it's actually called so I can try to snatch it somewhere second-hand. Thanks a lot, kind regards.
Sounds like a lot to be a student and run a business at the same time, but i guess anyone with the motivation and energy can do stuff like that...im personally relatively new to linux, so i'm not going to try to talk someone out of whatever project they have in mind based on that alone.

Hmm... Sell what you've already purchased and buy something complete with CPU and RAM, for starters. That won't be all that much more expensive.

I really appreciate the ideas, but to summarize the topic, the core of my question is how to do configure this specific system. And currently it really boils down to what do i need in terms of hard drives. What component should I use to connect my hard drives to this mobo. As I said, it's the last piece of the puzzle and I know I can find it once I find out what it is. I'm sure someone on this forum worked with this gear and perhaps knows what connected the hard drives to the mobo, and would be kind enough to share? Plus I know enough about hardware to put the ram into the system, I don't feel the need to pay someone else to do it and ship it as a package costing more than the parts separately, I've always done it in case of the tower computers and I will never not do it. People do it cause it's fun. In addition second hand products don't always come packaged so I'm fine with that. And finally I really enjoy reusing old cheap parts to build something useful. So let's agree to stick with this idea for now ;)

Last edited:
satta drive on sas controller
Kind thanks for staying on topic and contributing valuable knowledge.
It seems from my point of view there won't be that much of a difference using SATA, will there. This rack was designed before SSDs were popular, probably my current SSD can match some 13 y.o. SAS HDD. Worst case (not too bad) I can buy 1 SAS drive if it makes connecting that much easier.

As per connecting the SAS (or SATA drives).
1667691457910.png

It appears I will need a SAS controller for that. The manual says it's integrated (so it should mean it's built in not just included in the set, right?). So I don't need to buy any dedicated controller?

I've found auctions for this backplane too
1667691850773.png

Is this required or can it be substituted with a cable like
or
?
Would connecting just 1 SAS drive simplify anything?

BTW Amazing how cheap these parts can get. Even if I have to get each part 3 times before i get something that's not broken (and I haven't had the bad luck to ever buy broken used part) it would still be several times cheaper than a power pc or a modern server.

Okay I went asking around some other places and someone recomended that I could plug 4 SATA drives to the miniSAS slot using a splitter cable, and then use 6 pin to molex to power the hdds up.
Is it possible that this 6pin will have too much power for 2 sata drives and damage them or is there some form of smart regulation? Normally 1 of these 6 pins would power up to 4 SAS drives plugged to a backplane but I don't see any large resistors there so I assume the regulation should happen somewhere else on the mobo, right?
6 pin to molex
1667845449773.png

miniSAS to SATA
1667845479768.png

will this work?
BTW i think I'm going to produce a video tutorial on YT out of this. There parts are cheap and accessible, so it could help others who want to learn. If you mind being mentioned please let me know ;)

Is it possible that this 6pin will have too much power for 2 sata drives and damage them or is there some form of smart regulation?
Electrical appliances will only draw the amount of power they require, the fact that you may have say, a 10V 6amp supply serving say 2x 10v 1.5A components the total draw will still only be 2x 1.5a = 3amp, you can damage the components if you were to put a higher voltage through them than the design parameters.

Superb. I'll be ordering everything in a few hours and I'll keep you posted on the project! Thank you so much!

Members online

Latest posts