I'm Confused. I need help understanding THREADS-MAX and other elements.

Kevin Dunn IV

Reaction score
Credits
I found the formula to calculate the THREADS-MAX and it shows a formula as follows:

mempages / (8 * THREAD_SIZE / PAGE_SIZE)

I know I can get the value of PAGE_SIZE using getconf PAGESIZE

But how do I locate the "mempages" and the "THREAD_SIZE" values.

I would much appreciate if someone could explain how to obtain the two values.

Thank you in advance.
Kevin

You're confused?

Is this a Redhat inquiry, or other? If so, you are better placed in the Distribution Specific - Redhat and Derivatives subforum, I can move you there.

Also have a read of

Learn how to ask a good support question.

Some of us have our crystall balls at the shop for servicing. :)

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Confusion rains reigns here this morning....

You're confused?

Is this a Redhat inquiry, or other? If so, you are better placed in the Distribution Specific - Redhat and Derivatives subforum, I can move you there.

Also have a read of

Learn how to ask a good support question.

Some of us have our crystall balls at the shop for servicing. :)

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I may not have selected the best subject, but the group I posted to is titled General Linux, which I would assume would be relevant to CentOS, RedHat, and all the variations of Linux. I believe this is a general linux question.

Kevin

Oh dear ....Kevin......where is your sense of humour?

We are quite a laid back community. We sometimes err on the side of being friendly and lighthearted.

However....your initial post contains no detail...no OS or version number......in fact it does not tick any of the boxes required for us to formulate a reasonable response.

Again.......read HERE

;) :)

I found the formula to calculate the THREADS-MAX and it shows a formula as follows:

mempages / (8 * THREAD_SIZE / PAGE_SIZE)

I know I can get the value of PAGE_SIZE using getconf PAGESIZE

But how do I locate the "mempages" and the "THREAD_SIZE" values.

I would much appreciate if someone could explain how to obtain the two values.

Thank you in advance.
Kevin
Code:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max
Linux doesn't use the virtual memory to calculate the maximum of thread, but the physical ram installed on the system
max_threads = totalram_pages / (8 * 8192 / 4096)

Code:
Linux doesn't use the virtual memory to calculate the maximum of thread, but the physical ram installed on the system

So is totalram_pages the actual total Memory installed? If not then where to I derive the totalram_page to use in the equation?

Oh dear ....Kevin......where is your sense of humour?

We are quite a laid back community. We sometimes err on the side of being friendly and lighthearted.

However....your initial post contains no detail...no OS or version number......in fact it does not tick any of the boxes required for us to formulate a reasonable response.

Again.......read HERE

;) :)

I join the group because I needed information to solve a problem. I did not join to waste time with meaningless comments. I can appreciate the laid back community. However, when I was searching for the answer to my question I ran into many sites where people were asking questions, and only received useless responses. The person seeking the information get totally frustrated and left.

Now have you answer reply stated:

Confusion rains reigns here this morning....

and then continued to answer my question, then it would have been useful, and laid back.

By leaving useless messages, a new user gets the impression that the site is useless. And now I have wasted more time having to explain my comments to you. I guess I should have simply ignored you.

Code:

Also, where id you get the 8192. What command did you use to extract the THREAD_SIZE?

Hey condobloke, how dare you have a sense of humour.

I shall huddle in a corner and remonstrate with myself.....

Repeat to myself, over and over.....do not have a sense of humour, do not have.....add infinitum

@Kevin Dunn IV , you and I will get on just fine Kevin.

Without knowing what Linux distro you have installed it's hard to give any advice.

Copy and paste this command in the terminal and press enter.

Code:
inxi -Fxz

If an output appears then copy and paste it to a post and place the output between code tags which are located to the right of the smiley face so click on the 3 dots.

Also, where id you get the 8192. What command did you use to extract the THREAD_SIZE?
Have a look here
and here

Without knowing what Linux distro you have installed it's hard to give any advice.

Copy and paste this command in the terminal and press enter.

Code:
inxi -Fxz

If an output appears then copy and paste it to a post and place the output between code tags which are located to the right of the smiley face so click on the 3 dots.

All linux distro's. Primaily RedHat, CentOS and SuSE.

The inxi -Fxz returned 'inxi: command not found'

The inxi -Fxz returned 'inxi: command not found'
Well that's why it's pertinent to post some sytem information when asking questions.

I don't know much about RedHat or CentOS or SuSE other than they're above my Linux knowledge which ain't much.

I use PCLinuxOS and it does use rpm packages although lots of differences in terminal commands from the standard vanilla distros.

If you feel like it go here and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Anyway welcome to Linux.org it's a good place to hang out and we're a bunch of cutups but we're good folks. :)

No, no! They're too important and busy for things like an introduction! They're here for a purpose!

Staff online

Members online