Im curious to know what extra programs and settings some of you Arch users add to your system after install that are not mentioned in General Recom?

smooth_buddha

Reaction score
Credits
Ive been reading the "genreal recommendations" list on the Arch wiki , which is awesome and feel im learning a lot just by reading it but Id like to ask all of you that use Arch are there any extras, programs or configs that any of you do that are not on that Arch wiki recommendation list???? The list seems pretty comprehensive but i was curious to know if any of you add anyting extra to your Arch system thats not mentioned on the list??????????

aurutils -> or another aurhelper but learn to build packages manually first with makepkg
reflector -> updating mirrors
timeshift -> creating snapshots in case you need to restore your system to a working state.
cronie -> automatically allow timeshift to create snapshots
pacman-contrib -> contains several useful tools for pacman: paccace, pacdiff
qemu/libvirt/virt-manager -> Running virtual systems
base-devel -> For if you want to build AUR packages this contains useful development packages
when you refur to virtul systms do you mean virtual machines , using thing like virtual box?

when you refur to virtul systms do you mean virtual machines , using thing like virtual box?
Yes I mean virtual machines, like virtual box but it's gives better performance and experience than Virtualbox.

Attachments

• 2022-01-07_22_01_21.jpeg
    2022-01-07_22_01_21.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 245
Yes I mean virtual machines, like virtual box but it's gives better performance and experience than Virtualbox.
Im surprised thats not all the genreal recommendadtion list , but then i suppose maybe virtual machine isnt seen as essentail unlike firewall or xorg adn things like that

I guess those I listed are not really essential but just nice to have and not everyone wants to run virtual machines, I thought mentioning those would help you out even though they aren't essential that's why I listed them. I can't think of any essential ones that are not listed in that page you mentioned, also not everyone as the same workflow so what isn't essential to one person can be essential to someone else.

I guess those I listed are not really essential but just nice to have and not everyone wants to run virtual machines, I thought mentioning those would help you out even though they aren't essential that's why I listed them. I can't think of any essential ones that are not listed in that page you mentioned, also not everyone as the same workflow so what isn't essential to one person can be essential to someone else.
thanks for your list its helps a lot, i was curious to see what other arch users add to their sytem i suppose its all subjective as everybody uses different things. But i certainly need virtualization as im always playing with different linux ditros so thatnks again for that, you have saved me pulling more of my hair out when i comme to installing vbox or whatever!

Members online