Im thinking about creating a Minecraft Server hosting distro for kids and hobbyists for Raspberry Pi

John1776

Reaction score
Credits
Please bear with me through this explanation.
Yes, I know how hard it is to create and maintain a distro so you don't have to write that comment.

I like to play Minecraft and I have been playing it since I was a kid. With time I started hosting my own Minecraft servers (if ur not familiar with it, it's basically just a Java program with some additional state configuration via config files, etc). I would do it using mostly raspberry pis as it's an easy way to have something that would be running all the time and it's accessible and its repetitive. With time I have automated this process quite a bit to the point that most of it can be done by a script after boot.

I have been searching for a project and a few days ago I came to the conclusion that I could simply make a distro out of that.
Now, you ask why a distro? Why not an additional program or a package etc.
I would like it to be catered toward kids and novices of all kinds that just want to have a simple Minecraft server that they can share with friends. I remember myself being a kid and using stuff like hamachi to create a virtual LAN connection to play with friends and other things, as paid servers aren't the best options mainly because they basically require quite a lot of "adult" stuff for a kid. Paying for them, reading and accepting some terms of service, etc.

That's, why I want it to be an experience, served strictly from start to finish. I realize that I would have to write a front end of sorts either via a command-line GUI interface or a web GUI that would be easily accessible for further configuration to the user (for example making certain players admins, choosing maps aka world saves, versions etc).

Like many other Raspberry Pi OSs, I would like it to be as simple as possible so that only flashing it with NOOBs (or whatever that flashing application they have is called) would be enough to have everything set up.

The distros functionality itself would revolve around setting up Minecraft server instances, controlling and configuring them through a friendly interface.

What do you think about that idea?

I think it could be a good idea. You could do a spin off of GNOME and create a application pre-installed in the distro.

I think it could be a good idea. You could do a spin off of GNOME and create a application pre-installed in the distro.
Im not sure if i want a graphical user interface with a whole DE, not gonna lie it would take up the resources needed for the Minecraft server. I think a nice cli GUI and a webUI would be enough.

But my main concern is how to go about doing a distro offshoot? I have no experience in this sort of thing at all I don't even know where to start

Members online

Latest posts