I'm thinking of emailing my local-ish LUGs to let them know of our new LUG repository...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I'm thinking about doing some searching and browsing to find the contact information for my local LUGs. The reason for doing so would be to invite them to add their LUG to the list - or to do it for them if they'd prefer.

To do this, I've come up with a form letter, which could probably use some polishing before I start sending it off...

---------- EMAIL ----------

Hello and thank you for your time.

My name is David G. and I'm writing on behalf of Linux.org. The web is lacking a good central repository of LUGs and Linux.org is trying to fix this by providing such.

See:

You are invited to register and add your LUG to the list. If you'd prefer, I'll happily take care of this for you. If you want me to do it for you, please write a quick blurb for me to use in the 'about' section. The goal here is to create an accurate and up-to-date list of LUGs that are indexed and searchable from a single location.

Again, thank you for your time.

David G.

--------- END EMAIL ----------

Now, I'd only send it to LUGs where I can find a PUBLIC contact address or contact form. I'm not going to go around snooping for email addresses or anything like that.

Thoughts? I want it to be brief and to the point.

Also, if you feel like doing the same, you can certainly crib from what I've written.

The term "Linux User Group" is not actually spelled out anywhere in the email. Not everyone may recognize the acronym, especially in a "cold call" email message from out of the blue. I would spell it out in the subject line too. Use a subject like, "Your Linux User Group (LUG) Listing on Linux.org".

The overall wording is very good. I am not sure that "repository" is the best word. Consider "listing", "register", "registry", or maybe "catalog / catalogue".

Considering that it'll go to contact addresses for LUGs, it's safe to assume they know what a LUG is.

So, there's that.

As for repository, I did that for consistency. I figured it was an accurate description that any Linux user will be instantly familiar with. (It being a LUG, they're gonna be Linux users.) "Registry" isn't too bad.

Members online